Dive Ops/LDS in Tampa Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Stinggirl.

Are there any sites near Tampa that are considered a "must do"? We were thinking about diving Ginnie Springs and snorkling Crystal River while there.

Jeff

There is Blue Grotto or Devils Den...They are unique caverns...Once ya been there, ya kinda never go back...Blue Grotto has a bell at 35ish feet where you can enter and take out your reg..They both have web sites...40 bucks in 72 Degree water temp...

Devil's Den is good - a much better dive than Blue Grotto IMO. It's not so much the dive at BG that I don't like as it is the price gouging that goes on there.

Ginnie I find to be boring (The Ballroom at any rate). But if you've never done it then you have to do it at least once. I would like to go back for the Ear and Eye (you have to hold at least a Cavern cert), but I'll pass on the Ballroom.

Paradise Springs is a good one. They allow OW, but really to get the full dive you need to at least be Cavern. It can be very silty, as with any of the other dives mentioned, but this one especially because of the sharp angle at which the cavern descends. It's about 45 degrees all the way down.

Hudson Grotto (I can hear the groans) is a good one too. Most people don't like it because the water is very tannic. It basically becomes a night dive below 40ft. It's an excellent place to test gear out and it's very cheap ($15). They've got a lot to look at it down there if you take the time to try it.

There is also Hospital Hole which is a large sink in the Weeki Wachee river. You'll need a boat to get there but most dive shops run trips there when the weather is good. The Hole is usually always full of manatees and other wild life that seek refuge from the colder waters during the winter (it's spring fed). You can rent a canoe and get there yourself. It's only a short trip from the nearest park (Roger's Park).

As for shops - I pretty much stick to Diver's Supply. Scuba West isn't bad either but I've had only limited exposure to that shop.

Charters too.. All the dive ops I've been on down there were private, not sure who coordinates them or if they advertise. But I'd like to get a list of them too

CJM: Maybe I missed your post but did you clarify what exact city or area of Tampa you're looking for?

Each dive shop has different trips they organize with various local charters. Each operator has a unique "feel" to them. Some are portable (Capt. trailers the boat and moves around), some depart from the LDS and some you call directly.

In the Clearwater area, Dive Clearwater leaves out of Clearwater Beach. Up towards Tarpon Springs Narcosis leaves from right by their shop. I'm not familiar with anything south towards St. Pete. There is a charter called "Tanks-a-lot" or something similar that leaves out of Clearwater also.

If you're looking for spring diving, to the north American Pro Dive center can organize (or place you in) trips to various destinations.

Devils Den abd Blue Grotto are usualy LDS events where the LDS sends a DM or Instructor to lead a group. If you have your own buddy you're free to drive up to these places and dive with just your buddy.

Don't forget that the various LDS may also have local charters and trips so visiting a few different shops will give you a feel for the types of diving that are avalaible in the Tampa area.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom