Diving Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoScuba:
I have gotten into the practise of using my suit for bouyancy and only minimally using my wing. For my set I find that I don't have to have an over abundant amount of air in my suit for neutral bouyancy at depth. [text deleted] However that being said, I have been noticing myself "fighting" with my positioning in the water and after reading MHK's posting above I see where my problem lies. I plan on adjusting my technique acordingly in the future and see what happens.
Thanks!
Assuming you're correctly weighted and you're diving an AL80, you have 6 pounds of "roving air" in your suit when you start your dive. Put that all around your ankles when you go into a head down position and I know *I'd* have trim problems*...

Roak

* Note I said trim, not buoyancy problems...

I'm with the BC for buoyancy, and suit to offset squeeze... I also find that I'm more prone to those annoying little neck seal leaks if I have more air than necessary in my suit. Less air = better trim control and a dry dive for me anyways......

SoScuba:
I have gotten into the practise of using my suit for bouyancy and only minimally using my wing. For my set I find that I don't have to have an over abundant amount of air in my suit for neutral bouyancy at depth. One of the advantages I find to using the suit is the ease of ascending from a dive. I simply adjust my suits deflate valve to the right setting and i allow it to automatically vent as I ascend. Maybe its the lazy way. However that being said, I have been noticing myself "fighting" with my positioning in the water and after reading MHK's posting above I see where my problem lies. I plan on adjusting my technique acordingly in the future and see what happens.
Thanks!

Exactly the logic I used when using the DS for buoyancy ... and it takes some effort to adjust to using the wing. But stick with it ... Michael's right on. Once you get used to it, you'll feel a lot more stable in the water.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yeah when I first bought my drysuit I did the Padi course and bought the DUI book and found out exactly what MHK is talking about, way too unstable. So on my own I decided to use the BC for it's intended purpose and only put enough air in my drysuit to give loft to my insulation layer. Yeah but it cost me a hundred bucks or so... That's why I love Scubaboard, to get and give info. Ok if I can just find time to do my DIRF...

NWGratefulDiver:
... and it takes some effort to adjust to using the wing. But stick with it ... Michael's right on. Once you get used to it, you'll feel a lot more stable in the water.
Does this mean you figured out how to get that "trapped air" out of your wing? Did you ever play with that rear dump?

Snowbear:
Does this mean you figured out how to get that "trapped air" out of your wing? Did you ever play with that rear dump?

Yes ... and no ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I, too, use the wing as my buoyancy device. I use just enough gas in the suit to offset the squeeze and add loft to my undergarments.

I can't even imagine adding enough gas to compensate for up to 15 pounds (or more) of gas in the tanks. It leads one to wonder if the agencies/manufacturers aren't afraid that the typical recreational diver isn't capable of controlling two devices at one time.

Heaven forbid if the diver isn't wearing a balanced rig.......Can you say Michelin Man?

Greg

DUI no longer makes this "sole" recommendation in their booklet. They used to, but it has been changed.

Its about !@#$$%@# time. :D

Genesis:
DUI no longer makes this "sole" recommendation in their booklet. They used to, but it has been changed.

Its about !@#$$%@# time. :D

And you guys don't think we're having an impact on the industry ;-)

Believe me, youi haven't been the only ones making noise about this. Susan Long and I had a rather, uh, "long" discussion about it well over a year ago.

When I got my new TLS350, I actually READ the booklet and noticed that it had been reprinted.... and was changed! Heh, progress!

1 minor issue down, 999 big ones to go :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom