Cold Water Reg recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The definitive cold water/ice water reg. is the Poseidon Odin or the Cyclon Metal.
There is a authorized dealer in Germany who sells Poseidon on Ebay. He has a "rep" who will repair your regulator in the U.S. (matthewpercival@netscape.net).
At present he has some auctions on ebay-here's an example http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1047074564. You can email Matthew. He's a very nice guy, I have emailed him a number of times.

If cold/ice is your diving environment then I would get a Poseidon. If you are diving in cold water then I would get an Apeks.

By the way I own both the Apeks TX50 and the Poseidon Odin and they both are great.

Mike

dmentia you correct in asking advice for coldwater regs. The choices are phenominal and there are a lot of good regs out there. Many "coldwater regs" really are not. I have seen several of them freeze up on normal recreational dives! Of the three you mentioned, the GS2000 is probably the best reg, (as it seems to basically be based on the Sherwood platform). I currently own a Sherwood Blizzard, a Poseidon Jetstream and a Zeagle Flathead. They are all three, inherently, environmental regs.
The Blizzard is good to go, straight from the box, with it's environmentally sealed first stage and heat retention foils within the second stage, they are practically impervious to damage from the environment or from freezing. (All Sherwood regs above the Magnum and Brut levels are good for coldwater use). I have never seen one freeze!
The Poseidon second stage is super for coldwater use, although I'm not sure about their first stage. (Mine's mounted on a Sherwood first stage). They can, on occasion, give a fine mist of icy spray but they do not tend to freeze up. They are GREAT breathers down deep, although they DO tend to flutter occasionally up shallow. Service life is very good on their second stages, like the Sherwoods and Zeagles. I've had mine past 200' in very cold water and it did fine, (as did the Sherwood first stage!)
The Zeagle is super, as-is. Their first stage is environmentally diaphragm sealed and their pneumatically balanced second stage has a huge heat sink in addition to the other metal parts, which helps to prevent freeze up. I have well over 100 dives on my new Zeagle and I am totally sold on it's durability and perfomance. It's a great breather down deep and the adjustments on the second stage make it do anything you want it to!
I like them all and dive them all regularly in the cold. I do believe, all things considered, the Zeagle is unbeatable.
JMO - Norm

I have the Oceanic Sub Zero. I cant speak for the others but this is a very good cold water reg. I know many people who use it for Ice Diving and never had a problem with free flow. The coldest Ive had it is 37 deg/F and never had any problems.

...I just ordered the Apeks TX-50 DS4 w/TX-40 octo. If I am even 1/2 as happy with it as those that already have them then I should be happy indeed. My first test with them will be Grand Cayman in Feb!
Dmentia

Originally posted by dmentia
...I just ordered the Apeks TX-50 DS4 w/TX-40 octo. If I am even 1/2 as happy with it as those that already have them then I should be happy indeed. My first test with them will be Grand Cayman in Feb!
Dmentia
Hey, I thought you were talking cold water here?? (sorry, couldn't resist) :shark:

I think that one of the best regulators you can use is the Poseidon Jetstream or Poseidon Cyklon.
Thats the type of Regulators i have used the last 7 years. Im diving most of my dives in Sweden and right now its 3 celsius in the water and -15 in the air and the regulators is working without any problem. Apeks and the "top of the line" regulators from Scubapro and Mares might work. Good luck with your "cold" water diving. :viking:

Nothing wrong with the Blizzard. It is probably the most popular "recreational" reg in Toronto. Don't know if I'd take it below 110 tho' - It is a simple decent reg.

Myself - Well, I'm looking at a Brand new Apeks Tx-50 with swivel, Tx-20 octo, and that neat Suunto Modular console.

Hmmm - the water is a little hard for diving right now...(TM - not all Canucks dive dry.... :cold: ) I might have to join dmentia, but I promise to act cold! :D

...after my rigorous testing of the Apeks equipment in Grand Cayman, the rest of my diving next summer will be in Lake Michigan and quarries! Probably not the coldest water I could find, but cold enough for me!
Dmentia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom