Fail! Weekend Certify-

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I missed the whale :( Oh well there are many more out there to see. We have seen them when out on the boat, and had dolphins surround the boat many times. Often when conditions are undivable, I go for a hike, and we did just that at Point Lobos. It was a beautiful day and although we kept our eyes trained for the tell tale blow of a whale we didn't get to see any on Sunday.

Welcome to the board GIORia and please make sure to stick around and check out the local NorCal forum. In there you will find a great group of people who are always willing to answer questions, offer great advice, and give each other a little friendly ribbing to the people we call our friends :)
NorCal - ScubaBoard

Just for the unfamiliar... The local training site in Monterey is San Carlos beach popularly called the Breakwater. Like Peter C said there is a deli right there just a couple of yards away from the restrooms and also plenty of benches. Most shops have classes right on the lawn, the picnic tables or on the wall...

Gloria while I sympathize with your ordeal the reality of most scuba classes here locally is that they are a bit more physically and logistically demanding of the student. Monterey has taken it's share of divers who were not ready or equipped properly so my advice to you is to take it slow. Don't feel pressured to get into the water if you are not prepared both mentally and physically. Any diver has the right to thumb the dive... that includes students. If you are hungry, tired not feeling right say so... They would have understood... Did you tell them you were hungry? The Breakwater Deli has some awesome sandwiches and chowder :)

Ask questions... Do not assume that anyone will take care of anything for you... Tanks, gear, directions. These could be taken care of by the dive shop staff but ultimately your life is at stake not theirs... I really don't want to turn you off from diving but I think you made some assumptions early on that lulled you into a false sense of security.

Come check out the local NorCal forum and see what the other divers in the area are doing.

Just for the unfamiliar... The local training site in Monterey is San Carlos beach popularly called the Breakwater. Like Peter C said there is a deli right there just a couple of yards away from the restrooms and also plenty of benches. Most shops have classes right on the lawn, the picnic tables or on the wall...

Gloria while I sympathize with your ordeal the reality of most scuba classes here locally is that they are a bit more physically and logistically demanding of the student. Monterey has taken it's share of divers who were not ready or equipped properly so my advice to you is to take it slow. Don't feel pressured to get into the water if you are not prepared both mentally and physically. Any diver has the right to thumb the dive... that includes students. If you are hungry, tired not feeling right say so... They would have understood... Did you tell them you were hungry? The Breakwater Deli has some awesome sandwiches and chowder :)

Ask questions... Do not assume that anyone will take care of anything for you... Tanks, gear, directions. These could be taken care of by the dive shop staff but ultimately your life is at stake not theirs... I really don't want to turn you off from diving but I think you made some assumptions early on that lulled you into a false sense of security.

Come check out the local NorCal forum and see what the other divers in the area are doing.

Oh I agree my life is my life, and ultimately my safety is up to me. However, this is not my backyard, I never have been to Monterey to dive. Experience trump the inexperience. I was with them because I was enrolled in their class and was finishing up the OW class to get certified. I didn't hop in their truck and hitch a ride not knowing them and expect some strangers to take care of me. Supposedly they are licensed and able bodied instructors. Someone who hasn't been diving in the ocean b4 or been to Breakwater would NOT know to bring food for all day-
I say this because it wasn't that I didn't know about the deli- or the burrito place on Cannery row. It was that after the dives the dive master would say, 'ok 20 mins' grab a snack and come back so we can log' ok 20 mins isnt long enough to take down the top of the wet suit and put it back up. Now reality it was a longer break. But that was the setting of the WHOLE entire weekend. Pressure for time, being here or there, or rush rush rush, very uncomfortable. Not only that- like I stated, I was left by the dive master, he was my buddy. Very first dive in the ocean, he left me 1/4 to 1/2 way out to the float I swam by myself. So this is so much more than just the equipment or a lunch, or one single event.

One last comment, they weren't ok with us dumping the dive. They wouldn't let it go. Kept saying why not? And telling us at times we WERE going out there after we expressed discomfort, feelings of distress, it not being safe, etc...
Im not discouraged I'm going to dive regardless of this horrible situation. I know diving isn't this situation. Once I can say goodbye to them I'm sure I will be on to greener pastures.
Thanks for responding-

Last edited:
I hear you girl!! If they are rushing you and telling you to hurry, hurry, kick harder! what?? is there a big ole critter swimming after you?? Did they make you feel guilty for not doing the other dives? Pressure??? Wow..you carried a lot of tanks in the back of a Mustang..did it bottom out!!

I hear you girl!! If they are rushing you and telling you to hurry, hurry, kick harder! what?? is there a big ole critter swimming after you?? Did they make you feel guilty for not doing the other dives? Pressure??? Wow..you carried a lot of tanks in the back of a Mustang..did it bottom out!!

yeah, it hit bottom on the freeway 3 or 4 times-

Yeah the hurry, hurry was what initially got my heart beating-- I was thinking why are they doing that? Does it matter how fast? Or what is wrong? Why would they do that? I was continually kicking, it was disturbing to keep hearing that over and over for about 10 -15 mins. At one point I told them to stop or I was turning around because I was having a hard time breathing. What a site huh.. :/ well ok, so then later I found out he was under me watching me kick?? Thats why he was coming up saying long hip kicks, but I was already stressed out by then, and tired out. I was long kicked out -

How many tanks did you have to tote in your Mustang trunk?..?? all still full of Air??
I'm glad, I use a truck to load Tanks..

Dang, they need to relax!

PLEASE if you are a new diver, ASK about every single detail of what is going to be expected of you with the equipment, and what is expected of you at the Ocean, and what you should bring to help with your comfort, if it is a all day thing.

Sorry to hear of your experiance. Way to often I've experianced the same, you shouldn't have to ask this sort of thing but it's happened to me many times - too many operators seem to be hopeless at planning and keeping customers informed of the details - in my opinion running a dive operation is as much about logistics as diving. There are plenty of decent operators around though, hope you find one you're happy with.

also about the benches, already feeling uncomfortable and rushed- it would be a good idea/thought to go AWAY from my group and go sit somewhere else? At the benches you have stated. Big issues were made about time and being around for talks, and logs, etc... I couldn't even imagine branching away from group. I seen the benches though - but I sat on a rock most the time when we were inbetween things. Or sat in my mustang-in my dripping wet suit- my mustang is thrashed :) got to love it. The lawn? Sit on the lawn? You realize it was raining on Saturday right? The lawn was mud.

How many tanks did you have to tote in your Mustang trunk?..?? all still full of Air??
I'm glad, I use a truck to load Tanks..

Dang, they need to relax!

6 full tanks, well I'm a single mom :) with a mustang. I need to consider this talk next shop I go into.
I hope everyone is learning off this post! Ask your dive shop if you are going to be hauling all your own stuff! I was NEVER told. And how would I know to ask such a question. That doesn't even seem to be a rational action. Having your students take all the shops gear in all different directions for a class. And I never heard of that from the few people I know who have taken the classes.

Have a discussion with you dive shops owner. I'm sure he'd like to know the quality of instruction his representatives are supplying. I know if you spoke to the owner of my LDS about one of my classes I'd be hearing from him and you'd be out with a different instructior.
If you don't get satisfaction from them contact me I'm in Sacramento and I'll be happy to help you.

Back
Top Bottom