Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

South Africa is a great dive destination with a huge variety and offers a unique diving experience. I recommend Immerse Yourself Safaris who look after your every need with their highly qualified team. Discover creatures from the very big to the very small above and below the water.

Beneath the waves, dive pristine reefs swarming with a huge variety of fish, snorkel with a whale shark, jump waves with dolphins and be awestruck at the gracefulness of Tiger and Ragged Tooth Sharks. Join in the sardine run and witness the greatest underwater show on earth, a divers dream.

Above the waves get set to discover the Big 5 on open top safari vehicles. Get the chance to spot elephant, rhino, buffalo, lion and leopard as well as giraffe, zebra and many other antelope species. Enjoy a sundowner at lakes edge whilst watching hippo play in the shallows, or ride horseback down the beach and through dune forests.

Southern Africa is nothing short of magical. Pick a scheduled dive safaris or ask Immerse Yourself Safaris to tailor make your ideal Southern African dive adventure. Check them out at Immerse Yourself Safaris - About Us for more information.     

Laura,

I think Andrew should know that seeing as he is living there :wink: although he doesn't say which province :)

Don't try it here!

Attachments

• Africa 025.jpg
    Africa 025.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 62
I've dove at Sodwanna Bay (South Africa), there is some good diving there. What do you mean by "safe" dive destination? There are sharks, but that would be normal, there are thugs that live near the area in the dunes which can be normal for Africa, just be aware and stay away from the dunes.

I apologize , should have said anywhere other than South Africa and I am more worried about the threats on land than in the water.

If you've got cash, fly in to Pemba Island off Tanzania... you have to stay with the dive resort and its pricey but apparently they take full care of you, meals, accommodation, diving.. and the diving out there is stunning.. i didnt dive it cuz we rocked up there on our own, following advice that the dive shop was in town but found it to be MUCh a different story.. managed to negotiate a snorkel on a little island with some local fishermen though.. pretty gorgeous.. Pemba is a pretty awesome place too, would deffinatley say it's safe and even more so if you're stayin at a dive place.

There is very little to worry about in South Africa I live between Aliwal Shoal and Protea Bank in a small village right on the sea I dive most weekends and have never had any problems the only problems you might have is in the big cities Johannesburg,Cape Town,Durban ect if you go into the wrong areas you might get mugged try this link for more South African diving info Scuba diving kzn dive kzn scuba diving south africa south coast scuba diving
I also dive in Mozambique very often and have never had a problem visit my web page for more info

Tofo, Mozambique. Driven there a few times from Cape Town with no issues. Mantas, Whalesharks plus loads of other stuff. Great diving.

You could also try Egypt / Red Sea, going back there for a third visit in Aug.

If you could give some sort of an idea as to what your budget is it would help in giving advice.

Back
Top Bottom