Stay in Dumaguete, Dauin or on Apo Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rj, i suggest you try the search function found at the top of every page. almost all of your questions have been answered in previous threads. this may be the reason why you are getting less and less response every time you open a new thread.

thanks.....i am calling a guy tonight that lives in the USA that has been to Apo Island area.

I stayed at El Dorado - their $40 rooms are fine, food is good, diving pretty cheap and free nitrox. I am going again in May an staying at Mike's Resort - a new 8 room place just down the beach. Mike helped me organize my first trip and has run a dive shop and Mexican-American restaurant in Dumaguete for a while so I think his new place will be good. Best rooms only about $50 per night, think. Fewer guests mean fewer boats -probably just one when I am going - so maybe not quite the choice as El Dorado - they often had three boats, but you had to make sure you were around when they posted the next day's schedule so you could sign up for the dives you wanted. You will have great dives in the Dauin area.

@dogdrjohn

looks like my trip will be in May of 2010. maybe we will see each other there. i will sent you a private message through scubaboard.com

I stayed at El Dorado - their $40 rooms are fine, food is good, diving pretty cheap and free nitrox. I am going again in May an staying at Mike's Resort - a new 8 room place just down the beach. Mike helped me organize my first trip and has run a dive shop and Mexican-American restaurant in Dumaguete for a while so I think his new place will be good. Best rooms only about $50 per night, think. Fewer guests mean fewer boats -probably just one when I am going - so maybe not quite the choice as El Dorado - they often had three boats, but you had to make sure you were around when they posted the next day's schedule so you could sign up for the dives you wanted. You will have great dives in the Dauin area.

I dived with Mike during my last trip. His new resort is really nice :)

rj,

Are you traveling alone or do you have a few divers with you. Either way you could take a look at monarchsands.com this place has a really nice beach all sand and pretty peaceful. It's about 45 minutes from dumaguete but it offers a free private service in a package deal. I have done my AOW cert there in January. Nice place......

well, with all sand at monarchsand is pretty true, also under the water. additional they do NOT have a own dive operation and/or equipment.

ut it is indeed a very nice place to "bring a friend" and enjoy diving the other way ... :eyebrow:

Sad that the owner registers on each and every board (or sends out his friends to do so if he is already banned) to spam the forums. :shocked2:

@OP: I would recommend to stay and dive with one of the resorts in the Dauin Area, where you get rooms from 1000 Peso up to 10.000 Peso.

Make sure they give you all prices and fees as you don't wanna have 500 US$ unexpected fees or pay 100+ peso for a cold drink (unless you don't need to look aftyer your money of course).

Anyway, what is your room budget and I am happy to give you some suggestion

cheers

Rhoody

@Rhoody

I am looking at staying at Mike's Resort in Dauin. i can get an all included price for 3 meals, 3 dives a day, rental equipment to Apo and hotel room for 130.00 per day. so i figured that was not to bad.

what do you think?

where are you in PI?

Mike has now 2 boats (banka and speedboat),

Well if you are the only guest you get your private guide and boat exactly the time you wanna go diving, lucky you :)

He stills has his dive-shop at the Boulevard, just doesn't run the resto anymore. That's now run by the Casablanca Group which is basically the top notch of food in Dumaguete anyway.... and 0.5 liter ice-cold draft for 55 Peso

@Rhoody

I am looking at staying at Mike's Resort in Dauin. i can get an all included price for 3 meals, 3 dives a day, rental equipment to Apo and hotel room for 130.00 per day. so i figured that was not to bad.

what do you think?

where are you in PI?

I think you have a pretty good deal.

With all dive-shops in this area you end up around 35 - 40 Dollars per dive (incl. Equipment and fees), so if you do the math, you get 3 meals plus room for 20-30 dollar, that's a good deal IMHO.

You can get it cheaper when staying in Dumaguete but loose each day 2-3 hours travel time in small multicaps. Not because of the distance but on the way the operators need to pick up tanks, load the boat and the same procedure backwards after the diving-day.

At the moment I am in Dumaguete (rent a house here since 5 years) but travel a lot. You travel alone or with friends ? (sorry I am to lazy to scroll back and look)

Back
Top Bottom