What is your favorite bag / luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Choosing the right bag is a little complicated! You need to take a look at application, features, and functionality. I typically have three bags. Either way, I am a big fan for StahlSac (a little more pricey but lifetime warranty).

Carry On - This bag normally holds my Regs, Computer, Mask and Log Book, change of close and any other stuff (camera, laptop, IPod, Magazines, etc..)that I may want to have on the plane. Here is a good choice for a carry on.

Cayman Brac Carry-on *Buy Stahlsac at DIVESEEKERS.COM 888-SCUBA-47
Sorry - Missing photo, we'll be getting it on there
Stahlsac Watersports Luggage - W419-B - Cayman Brac Carry On

Check In Luggage - This one obviously holds my clothes and the rest of my dive equipment. The hard part on this is that you don't want to go excessively big because then it is easy to get over weight. Key on this one is to pack scientifically and wrap cloths around any breakable dive gear. Bag weighs under 10 lbs.

Jamaican Smuggler *Buy Stahlsac at DIVESEEKERS.COM 888-SCUBA-47

Dive Bag - This bag is used solely to get from your room or dive shop to the boat and back. This is one of the hardest choices for bags because there is 3 choices. Backpack, Duffel, Roller Duffel. Personally I prefer a backpack style. Easiest to carry, it leaves my hands free for carrying other things, less to break and most importantly it doesn't take up a lot of space on the boat. When packing I lay this down flat in my luggage and then load it up once I'm checked into my room. This bag also has a Dry Bag built into it which is really nice.

Bonaire Mesh Backpack *Buy Stahlsac at DIVESEEKERS.COM 888-SCUBA-47

The other positive is that there are no dive logos on StahlSac luggage.

I was at the monthly get-together at our local dive shop and some friends told me about some bags they got at Costco for $40. I had mentioned to them that I wanted something lighter than the big Akona bag I've been using.
I paid $30 for my Costco rolling duffel bag with extendable handle. It doesn't have any zippered expansion features, but it is one of the large, two-compartment variety with hard-sided rectangular "drop-bottom" and soft duffel-like compartment on top. It looks like this, only I paid didn't pay $40 for it.

It's been on many trips to Catalina, a couple to Monterey, and two trips to Bonaire. Great bag! It can fit a lot of dive gear -- with judicious packing we can get two sets of gear (minus regs/camera gear) to fit. I wouldn't even consider getting luggage plastered with dive logos. Those bags are more expensive and more easily targeted by thieves.

Oh, I also appreciate Costco's return policy.

I've been unable to find the bag I purchased on the Costco website.

For carry on MEI voyager- fits all my gear: 2xl 5mm full, BC, regulator, apollo Bio fins large, mask, hood, gloves, and boots ~30 pounds.
Recomended:
Leisure Travel Bags :: One Bag

From their site:
The MEI Voyageur Back-Pack - First choice of the seasoned world traveler
"My current choice in this category is the MEI "Voyageur" pack (pictured above), which is 22 × 14 × 9 inches (maximum permitted carryon size), made of 1000 denier Cordura with an interior urethane coating, and has a parallel stay internal aluminum frame. The hip belt and shoulder harness are lined with nylon knit, and padded with closed cell foam; these zip out of sight for carryon use, and a more "luggage-like" appearance"

A note about dive logo's on bags...a lot of them are patches sewn onto the bags. You can, carefully, use a razor to pull the thread out. Just make sure you don't slice the bag itself.

Choosing the right bag is a little complicated! You need to take a look at application, features, and functionality. I typically have three bags. Either way, I am a big fan for StahlSac (a little more pricey but lifetime warranty).

Carry On - This bag normally holds my Regs, Computer, Mask and Log Book, change of close and any other stuff (camera, laptop, IPod, Magazines, etc..)that I may want to have on the plane. Here is a good choice for a carry on.

Cayman Brac Carry-on *Buy Stahlsac at DIVESEEKERS.COM 888-SCUBA-47
Sorry - Missing photo, we'll be getting it on there
Stahlsac Watersports Luggage - W419-B - Cayman Brac Carry On

Check In Luggage - This one obviously holds my clothes and the rest of my dive equipment. The hard part on this is that you don't want to go excessively big because then it is easy to get over weight. Key on this one is to pack scientifically and wrap cloths around any breakable dive gear. Bag weighs under 10 lbs.

Jamaican Smuggler *Buy Stahlsac at DIVESEEKERS.COM 888-SCUBA-47

Dive Bag - This bag is used solely to get from your room or dive shop to the boat and back. This is one of the hardest choices for bags because there is 3 choices. Backpack, Duffel, Roller Duffel. Personally I prefer a backpack style. Easiest to carry, it leaves my hands free for carrying other things, less to break and most importantly it doesn't take up a lot of space on the boat. When packing I lay this down flat in my luggage and then load it up once I'm checked into my room. This bag also has a Dry Bag built into it which is really nice.

Bonaire Mesh Backpack *Buy Stahlsac at DIVESEEKERS.COM 888-SCUBA-47

The other positive is that there are no dive logos on StahlSac luggage.

Stahlsac bags are high quality items. I love how the Jamaican smuggler stays upright even packed full with dive gear. Before we place any clothes in the bag the wife places them in those large plastic bags you can suck all the air out of to compress them, works like a charm, keeps them neat and dry and doesn't take up much room in the bag.

"Before we place any clothes in the bag the wife places them in those large plastic bags you can suck all the air out of to compress them, works like a charm, keeps them neat and dry and doesn't take up much room in the bag."
Always wondered about that, but how do you suck the air out at the hotel for the ride home????

"Before we place any clothes in the bag the wife places them in those large plastic bags you can suck all the air out of to compress them, works like a charm, keeps them neat and dry and doesn't take up much room in the bag."
Always wondered about that, but how do you suck the air out at the hotel for the ride home????

Actually, she bought some that she just sits on and squeezes all the air out, she says she bought them at Target. All I know is they work great and everything was small, compact and dry going both ways. Pretty inexpensive too she says.

I just purchased a new Akona AKB144 Roller Backpack dive bag from the scuba show. It was $100 and included 10 free air fills. It was a pretty good deal considering the bag cots $250 online so I bought one as like most things it can be returned if I do not like it.
Looking at reviews, they were mixed, and the comments about its larger size stood out and worried me.

Are there any other owners of this bag and if so how do you like or dislike it?

Have you ever gotten hassled at their airport due to its larger size even when it was under the 50lbs?

Is it a pain to lug in taxis excreta?

How does the bag work for boat trips?

We do the same thing... just use those big ziplock bags and sit on them when coming home. If TSA opens your bag, they just look at all those squashed clothes and pass them by. It's great and the clothes aren't scattered all over their tables.

Back
Top Bottom