Area Gulf Water Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Worked the area of the RJ yesterday to close out grouper season. 20-25' of vis on the wreck and ledges in the area. 58 degress on the bottom. Ended up hitting a broken bottom spot in 55' that put the majority of the gags in the boat. 20' of vis there as well. Was a very nice day to fill the freezer for the next few months.

First Good Weather on a weekend this year. Did our first Charter for 2010. Took new divers to Veterans Barge. Vis about 5 feet on top, 15 feet on bottom. Temp on surface 55 and Bottom 53!Coldest I have seen in over 10,000 dives I made in the Gulf over the past 30 years!! We canceled Sunday's Charter.

40ft of vis in 85 out of Desoto. Had a report in 100' out of Tarpon with very good vis there.

Yesterday I was on the gulf and the depth finder reported 53 degrees on the surface. No diving, just looking for interesting bumps on the bottom finder!

Out about 20 miles from AMI Saturday in 85'. The coldest my computer registered was 57 though, seems a bit higher than the rest of you. Vis was pushing 30', no complaints at all about that. Oh, and side note: my new drysuit is AWESOME! :D

Took small group of Spring breakers out for a Charter Wed. Their first real open water dive so we hit the Vet barge first. Vis only 10 feet and bottom temp was 55. Went west by south west to 57 feet to look for better vis and "maybe" 15 feet there and the same 55 on the bottom. Surface conditons were great.

P.S. going to buy me some new dry suits this year at DEMA to go along with my full line of brand new 7mm suits we have rental in case we get another winter like this one!! The older I get the less I like the cold!

Saturday took Charter to Sheridan and vis about 20 feet with temp about 65 on surface and 61 on bottom which is a HUGE thermal cline for Gulf. Seas a little sloppy in morning but pretty nice in afternoon. Sunday Charter to Vet Barge with Dive shop and students. Seas about 2 ft and vis about 10 foot in the warmer surface water but a good 20 feet below thermal cline. Checking my Ship Log for this time last year water temp was 70-71 !!

Took Some OW students I had on my Charter boat Sunday this morning to Indian Rocks Beach to do a dive to finish up some skills. We swam off shore to the Artificial reef where I was hoping to show them them all the grouper, mango's and other reef fish but Vis was only a foot on the Bottom due to a Bloom going on. Vis about 3 feet above the bloom. Water temp was a balmy 70 degrees. The wind from the East should keep cleaning up the vis.

Hit a ledge in 50' of water off Anna Maria Island. Viz was top to bottom. Temp on top was 70 degrees. Bottom temp was 65 degrees. Got 4 decent hog fish and a red grouper on this site.

Hit a ledge in 70' of water viz was around 30-40'. Surface temp was 70 degrees, bottom temp was 60'. Burrrrr!. Got a 27' Gag. Hit another that was probably bigger, but he shook the spear loose.

Great spear fishing trip. Nice to have some fish in the freezer again.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom