Gift Regulator For Aspiring Marine Biologist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a niece who is off to graduate school in marine biology. She is interested in coral reefs and coastal fisheries biology. She needs a regulator set for graduate school and beyond and I would like to gift her a set.

My default is a Scubapro Mk17/G250v for several reasons: (1) it is a flexible regulator set for cold/warm water (2) if she goes diving in Borneo or other exotic locations, parts may be more available than for other reg sets and (3) it is a proven design that breathes well. Given that I have a SP bias, I also want her to have a flexible and reliable regulator set whether it is SP, Atomic, Aqualung, or ..... Any suggestions about a flexible, reliable, and easily serviced worldwide regulator set for an aspiring marine biologist who may dive warm and cold water?

Thanks
JR

well, what ever you get, make sure you have your favorite reg tech check it out and make sure everything is in spec and tuned up real nice! (stuff doesn't always come from the factory set up/tuned correctly, so give it that personal touch)

Sounds like an excellent choice to me. I'm not sure what I would use for the octo but, for versatility, I might use another 250V.

HOWEVER, ... Don't you just hate however? Depending on your niece's interests and skillset, I might consider the HOG regulator set (with the cold water first stage) simply because they sell parts to end users and some of their distributors will train an end user in regulator maintenance. That way support in far away lands just isn't important. DiveRightInScuba is once such retailer.

You are located near Dolphin Scuba (in Sacramento) and they are a big HOG retailer. What I don't know is whether Dolphin offers the training. It's worth a phone call. And maybe a call to Edge/HOG for another retailer.

HOG (HIGHLY OPTIMIZED GEAR) SECOND STAGE TECHNICAL REGULATOR BY EDGE

If I were going to the edge of the known universe, I would want to be self-sufficient.

Richard

Ah yes, the "howevers," but then that is why I asked the question for the "howevers"! The HOG is an interesting choice and I will look into it ... she is going to school in Florida so a training course at Dolphin is more or less out of the question, but I would guess there are also places in Florida where that is possible. Although she may not have an interest in rebuilding her own regulator, the availability of parts or a bring along parts kit so some else can do it seems like a must. Thanks for the suggestion!

Absolutely bring along a parts kit as well as a few other consumables such as diaphragm and exhaust valve. You can also print out a copy of the regulator inspection checklist from SB:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4320058-post14.html

That along with an IP gauge - and of course proper care and maintenance :) - should go a long way towards more diving.

Henrik

Back
Top Bottom