Dive Gear, check, Safety Gear, check, do I want to buy a camera for diving, help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ushipb00

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Everyone,

Ok. i will be diving in Puerto Gallera, Moalboal, Cebu, Malapascua, and Bohol for a month. I am thinking about buying the Canon G11. This will be my first underwater camera. I can take a PADI underwater training class in two weeks. I have about 40 dives under my belt. My questions is since I am going for month should I buy a dive camera? I dont dive as much as i like and it maybe another year after this trip before i dive again. And is the Canon G11 a good amatuer camera?

Any advice would be helpful

B

The PADI class is a waste of money IMO. Yes, on the camera, the G series is a capable camera and far from amatuer.

I cannot imagine diving without a camera. The problem, for me, is figuring out how to make the batteries last. Maybe I take too many pictures? :)

I woudnt spent any on PADI

Do like me; beg for copies of pictures after dives with photographers :dork2:

its free, you can enjoy your dive and dont have to worry about leaks in the housing

I have never even owned a underwater camera. I would imagine the training would cover how to properly maintain the camera and keep it from leaking right? My dive shop used to be a SSI dive shop, now its gone PADI, but I think its the same SSI teacher.

That takes about 5mins to learn. Seriously.

That's not that complicated to do... People on Scubaboard can help you with that... Forget the Padi cert...:popcorn:

But 2 important things to consider, since you are relatively new diver...

1- taking pictures underwater takes very good buoyancy skilss! You need to have very good control of yourself in the water because taking pictures requires quite a bit of your attention. The last thing you want is to not realise you,re sinking and smash into the reef, or worse, not realise you are positively buoyant and starting an uncontroled ascent. So what I mean is simply; if you don't think your buoyancy skills are good enough, maybe you should get better at that first. If you think you're OK, then go for it... And be carefull on your first dive with it...

2- Taking pictures is a lot of fun, but being concentrated on a subject you are photographing takes your attention off the surroundings and the general dive. Your dives chnage considerably after that! I find I miss quite a lot of the "general scope" of the dive now and sometimes even miss cool stuff swimming by... It not a problem; you'll probably love taking photos... Just be warned the whole dive experience changes a lot!

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

I have never even owned a underwater camera. I would imagine the training would cover how to properly maintain the camera and keep it from leaking right? My dive shop used to be a SSI dive shop, now its gone PADI, but I think its the same SSI teacher.

Thanks for that 2 cents. I was wondering how the dive would change. See, that's kinda of issue for me too. If I dive with a camera how much of the dive experenice am I losing? I think my buoyancy is good enough to handle the change, but I worry that I will focus too much on the shot instead of just having a relaxing dive. Any thoughts?

I think you would enjoy having the option of taking pics underwater and I think getting in with a camera such as the G11 is a great idea. PADI courses are great, but the U/W Photogrpaher course is really designed for those who are not really familiar with the basics of photography. It can do a great job of stepping someone through the decision process of which camera and or housing type to purchase, but I dont think you need one for the set up your choosing, these set ups are generally easy to use and maintain.
If you do purchase it I recommend you spend a couple of dives re-establishing your bouyancy control before taking it into the water with you.. The other things I would recommend is never make your boat entry with the camera, always have someone hand it to you once your in(avoid flood hazard).
I would also recommend going to Wetpixel.com :: Underwater Photography and Videography and do some reading in the forums about basic techniques etc etc. It could really help you out.

Final thought: many dive shops rent cameras on a daily basis, this could get to be expensive if you decide that you really like it.

Go here also http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/

HTH
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I worry that I will focus too much on the shot instead of just having a relaxing dive. Any thoughts?

relax on the boat and get crossed eyed taking photos underwater. i will not have it any other way :wink: the g11 is far from amateur. i've been using the G series for two years now and i'm still learning how to use it.

piece of advice: invest in strobes. makes a whole lot of difference in your UWphotography.

Back
Top Bottom