Downwellings north dive sites!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firstdive2005

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
:holysheep:Has anyone ever been on a dive to the north dive sites, Canterall, Barracuda etc and ever been taken by a downwelling or upwelling? How did you escape it? Did you get hurt at all?
Thanks, I'm asking this because some friends of mine got whacked by one the other day, 5 divers, they where very fortunate not to get hurt. One of them got shot to 187fsw. The dm thought that diver was dead. They where helpless to help one another. One had minor ear barotrauma, all including the dm did not think they where going to make it out.
None of them had ever been through one, have you?

Hi Eric!
We did Barracuda and San Juan when we went back in October and didn't experience any. The currents were pretty strong though.

How's your trip going? We're headed back in May. :D

David

There's been a few threads about downwellings in the Incidents & Accidents section of the forum. One of the theories of safely getting out of one was to inflate your BCD to try to prevent from getting pushed down further. However, that was countered with the argument that an inflated BCD gives more surface area for the current to push down on. Also, when you're out of the downcurrent (or when it stops), you're now at depth with a fully inflated BCD - not good.

The idea that seemed to make the most sense to me was to swim horizontally. I liken this to being under the stream of a waterfall. What's the best way to escape from the water pushing down on you? Swim across the water - don't try to fight it by swimming up.

There's also the possibility of safely clinging to the reef until the downcurrent is over. Some of the reef can cut you up real bad though. However, in Cozumel you're not allowed to use gloves in the marine park :rolleyes: Even then, there's no telling how long the downcurrent will last. I think this would be the most instinctive maneuver for anyone suddenly descending beyond their control.

You can probably find some threads on the subject by searching for "downcurrent", "down current", "downwelling", "down welling", "downdraft", or "down draft".

I'd also like to point out that these things can happen anywhere on the island, even at the "regular" sites along the west side. I know someone who was climbing onto the back of a boat while it started spinning (clockwise?), which is a sign of one. Thankfully they were getting back on the boat because the dive was ending. Talk about good timing.

Currents up north are strong and change often on a dive. Two years ago I dove Barracuda with a friend and we were blown all over the place. We had currents that swept us along the reef, out from the reef and down the wall. The cross current was not to difficult to deal with but the down current would drop us 20 - 30' fast. After about 25 minutes of dealing with it, my buddy (experienced Great Lakes diver) called the dive. That said, Alex from Palegic Adventures was zipping all over the place with a spear gun and didn't seem to have an issue with it. There are a lot of tricks to playing the current that the locals have perfected. Staying close to the reef, ducking behind upcurrent formations, body angles, etc.

Also, the northern sites are out of the park and gloves are allowed.

Believe it or not, we had a nasty current on Punta Tunich last Sat. The vis was around 25' and current was coming across the reef the entire dive. Everyone was exhausted from kicking straight into the current in order to stay on the reef.

PH

ditto what rubberducky said - it can happen anywhere on any dive site, but more notorious on northern sites.
A few years ago we had just gotten back from Coz and heard about a whole group on Santa Rosa got caught in a downwell and most of them ended up in chamber afterwards. Some crawled back up wall hand over hand, others inflated their BC (bad idea as they went flying once they broke free of downwell - those are the ones that ended up in chamber, I think). After hearing about this, I have become very conscious and observant of currents, Cozumel and all other destinations!

robin

This happened to me at Barracuda last fall -- the current was flowing at an angle across the top of the reef, I drifted too close to the side and found a down current. I don't know how frequently the currents behave that way, but I'd guess it's fairly often. Frightening, to say the least. I was able to swim out of it horizontally -- seemed to take forever though actually it didn't take long. Got back to the reef, rested for a little while, slowly ascended to the top and continued the dive with new knowledge. I don't have any desire to return to Barracuda and came away thinking it's a lousy site for group diving. Been to Canterell & San Juan since without incident.

We experienced a down-well at Santa Rosa when we were on island last summer. Pretty frightening, drifting along at 60-65 feet 3-4 feet off the reef or so and next thing we knew we were at 108 feet and 60 feet out from the wall and spit out of the current. Literally only a couple of seconds we were in it and we were both kicking upwards as hard as we could during those few seconds. Dive master in front of us maybe 20 feet didn't get caught at all and the buddy pair behind us got split, one in and one not. Didn't panic at the time and finished the dive but later realized that the only thing that kept us from going down a lot further was that the current spit us out, there really is no fighting it. Dive master talked about getting caught in one and having to grab the reef and hang on while someone else was hanging onto his ankles.

ditto what rubberducky said - it can happen anywhere on any dive site, but more notorious on northern sites.
A few years ago we had just gotten back from Coz and heard about a whole group on Santa Rosa got caught in a downwell and most of them ended up in chamber afterwards. Some crawled back up wall hand over hand, others inflated their BC (bad idea as they went flying once they broke free of downwell - those are the ones that ended up in chamber, I think). After hearing about this, I have become very conscious and observant of currents, Cozumel and all other destinations!

robin
What you describe above sounds like the diverlink trip in July 2000. I was on that trip with that group, but wasn't diving that day. I think 5 people from our group went to the chambers. There is also video of the divers getting caught. It was not only a up and down deal, but it was spinning them around also. I have the video, but it is on VHS. Not sure if anyone ever put it into a format that is easily seen such as youtube or dvd. Some of the people that were on that dive post here now.

One of the divers posted a good account of that dive, and I posted it here on scubaboard at one time, but I can not find it. I do have that report saved on a very old computer, and I am trying to find a way to copy it and repost it.

There can be some weird current up yonder. Stay with the group. You must stay close to the reef! Next stop Cuba! I got stuck at the end of San Juan last year... Hung onto reef, checked SPG, plenty/lots of air, relaxed a bit. I could see my buddy and hear him using his UW signal device. I kicked like hell and couldn't get to him. I swam laterally a short distance and got out of it. T'was a real eye opener. Current was real fast and funky that day (I'll post of some video I shot when I'm not at the airport broadcasting passwords).
Gotta be careful up there. Could have been real baaaad if I would have freaked and inflated BC, then shot to the surface or if I didn't stop and hang on to collect my thoughts. I'm no pro diver but I think all my training I've done over the years paid off with that one dive. Made for a good story on the boat ride back though.
We have also been up there when you could do resort courses on San Juan. We have started to go north before and just turned around knowing the seas were to rough for a safe dive. Just depends what mother nature is dealing on that day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom