Prilosec and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluebanded goby

Contributor
Reaction score
Any possible dive-related concerns with taking Prilosec? I suspect not, since a search indicates that some number of divers appear to take it, especially for acid reflux or heartburn. I don't have these, but a recent endoscopy revealed that I have some small ulcers in my stomach, so a daily Prilosec was prescribed.

Initially I thought this was just going to be for a couple of weeks, but today my family doctor suggested staying on the Prilosec for a while to be on the safe side. I'm asymptomatic, and the endoscopy didn't turn up anything that was a concern. But just thought I'd ask about the med before diving this weekend.

Just adding my personal experience... I have acid reflux and am on Prilosec by prescription. I have not noticed any problems with diving.

Heart burn is pretty common in divers in my personal experience, but maybe that's just a fluke. Like Inventor, I have acid reflux. I've taken Prilosec, Nexium and now take prescription Acifex for many years with no effect on my diving. Since these drugs lower your stomach acidity, they probably predispose you to gastrointestinal illness you might encounter while traveling in 3rd world dive locations (or non-3rd world ones-LOL)

It's never been a problem for my wife.

Pete

In general, proton pump inhibitors like Prilosec have no effects that should impact your diving. Neither does the underlying illness sound like an issue. But with all medications, you should make sure you have taken it for a while on land, to know your own reactions to it, before diving on it. (Sounds as though you have done that.)

Prilosec and other proton pump inhibitors can dehydrate you, so make sure you drink enough liquids.

Prilosec and other proton pump inhibitors can dehydrate you, so make sure you drink enough liquids.

Hi JohnB47,

Diarrhea occurs in ~3-4% of individuals taking Prilosec (omeprazole) and other proton pump inhibitors. Of course diarrhea can result in dehydration. However, in the absence of such PPI's generally are not associated with dehydration.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi JohnB47,

Diarrhea occurs in ~3-4% of individuals taking Prilosec (omeprazole) and other proton pump inhibitors. Of course diarrhea can result in dehydration. However, in the absence of such PPI's generally are not associated with dehydration.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I don't know what percentage of the population are affected as I am, but I have used Prilosec (omeprazole), Prevacid (lansoprazole) and Protonix (pantoprazole), and they all dehydrate me but do not give me diarrhea. My doctor was not aware of that side-effect either, but the symptoms were headache (relieved by drinking lots and lots of water), extreme dry mouth, and abnormally high red and white blood counts (indicating too little water in the blood). I have since switched to Pepcid Complete (famotodine, calcium carbonate, and magnesium hydroxide), which still dehydrates me but to a lesser degree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom