The Art Of Underwater Self-Sufficiency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jridg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just finished reading Robert Von Maier's book. I am sure many have read it and it has probably been discussed. I was unaware of it and came across it by happenstance at the local Borders the other night.

Highly recommended for all divers!

Dive Safe!

Jim,

I respectfully disagree. It does not 'recommend' a spare air, it goes over the various alternatives for redundant air sources and talks very candidly about the pros and cons of each. Simply because a person chooses one source over another is not a reason to demean it or them. The Von Maier states that he uses/used one, but also candidly states the limitations.

As for being 'dated' - the information is useful - and sure, we talk about many of the things in the book here on the board, but it is quite nice to see all of this information in one place, well presented.

If we can't learn from what people were doing 50 years ago, 40 years ago, 30, 20, 10, etc, then we aren't doing our jobs. This was updated in 2002 (2nd ed) - I found it a good and easy read and certainly up to the task of educating or at least reminding this 'experienced solo diver' of the realities of both diving solo and the 'buddy' system.

I found the first half of the book ok(ish) but it did not really tell me anything that I had not already considered. Perhaps it would be more informative to a diver who had always relied on a buddy and had not broached a lot of the topics covered. Apparently there are some divers who expect the guide to carry all that "safety stuff" for them.

I did like the second half where other soloists described their experiences/outlooks on soloing. It was refreshing to see that solo diving wasn't the boogieman others had made it out to be.

I found the book helpful, if not a little too concise. It did read somewhat like an ad for Spareaire,
but overall, I liked it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom