D9 Battery change "How To"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One question!!
How many dives does d9 take up to with one battery?
Advance thanks to your valuable answers.
Cheers.

I think the mfg estimates somewhere around 300 dives max or about 3 years. I think their exact spec is on the last few pages of the manual. In reality you should see 2-4 years of use out of the battery I would say.

From the lesson I learned...replace it every two years.....I went 2 1/2 years with out replacing and 5 days before I was headed to Palau/Philippines I turned it on....LOW battery warning and I did not know how to replace it then.

I think dive pros rattle through the batteries much faster. If you are doing 3 dives a day, 5 days a week, then (according the grumblers at my LDS) you have to change them every 9 months.

I think dive pros rattle through the batteries much faster. If you are doing 3 dives a day, 5 days a week, then (according the grumblers at my LDS) you have to change them every 9 months.

Agreed, If you are in the water that much then you will need to change your battery more. Unfortunately I, and most other people I know, don't have the problem of being able to dive that much.

I have changed the battery on my D9 and can only access the last 2 dives in the logbook after doing so. Any thoughts? I know it is keeping track of them though because I have to computers when going on trips and after several days of diving my Vytec has very close to the same No deco time left while diving. I wonder if when changing the battery if there is a reset step we are missing? or maybe an upload that needed done? Or, I am just not lucky!!!
You might find this funny, I made a testing pot out of my wife's old pressure cooker and an adjustable regulator like you would use for paint spraying. Took it down to 70 feet. worked good.

Thank you very much for this great work , but i have a sample question : where i find the pressure pot and what is the method for pressure test??????

Thank you very much for this great work , but i have a sample question : where i find the pressure pot and what is the method for pressure test??????

Pressure Pot's are not the most common things around, ours here at the shop is from GMC, but there are many others out there designed for scuba as well as watch testing. Heck Diver58 in the post before yours built one out of a pressure cooker which is just awesome in my book. The process I use is as follows:

1. First make sure you do a very careful and clean battery change, the best way to have a good pressure test is to not have the computer leak. Clean everything up well and take your time.

2. Fill the pressure pot with about 4" of fresh water and set the watch to be tested in the bottom. I attach it to a dive weight to make sure that it stays in place and stays submerged. Suunto recommends on the D6 and D9 that the computers are not tested in air as it may damage the sensors. You may also place a reference sample in the pot too (another D9) to check the uniformity of the readings.

3. Take it on a "test dive" to the depth of your choosing, I use 130' as my standard. Making sure that the depth readings are accurate both on the way down as well as on the way up. You also want to look very closely for any signs of a leak, visible water, fogging, dimming of the screen etc.

4. Once the dive is over dry the watch completely off with a soft cloth and set it next to a mild heat source, a desk lamp or small flashlight (even just wear it outside on a warm day for a while). This will show if any water has entered by causing the screen to fog if any moisture made it in. Remember we are not cooking D9's here just let it warm up a bit.

If you want to be even more cautious you can take the computer on a really shallow dive, say 30' then warm it up and look for signs of leaking. Then if everything is ok, take it on a deeper dive. The thought is if it leaks it will at least have leaked less helping to minimize any possible damage and letting you get into the watch more quickly to clean things up.

Pressure Pot's are not the most common things around, ours here at the shop is from GMC, but there are many others out there designed for scuba as well as watch testing. Heck Diver58 in the post before yours built one out of a pressure cooker which is just awesome in my book. The process I use is as follows:

1. First make sure you do a very careful and clean battery change, the best way to have a good pressure test is to not have the computer leak. Clean everything up well and take your time.

2. Fill the pressure pot with about 4" of fresh water and set the watch to be tested in the bottom. I attach it to a dive weight to make sure that it stays in place and stays submerged. Suunto recommends on the D6 and D9 that the computers are not tested in air as it may damage the sensors. You may also place a reference sample in the pot too (another D9) to check the uniformity of the readings.

3. Take it on a "test dive" to the depth of your choosing, I use 130' as my standard. Making sure that the depth readings are accurate both on the way down as well as on the way up. You also want to look very closely for any signs of a leak, visible water, fogging, dimming of the screen etc.

4. Once the dive is over dry the watch completely off with a soft cloth and set it next to a mild heat source, a desk lamp or small flashlight (even just wear it outside on a warm day for a while). This will show if any water has entered by causing the screen to fog if any moisture made it in. Remember we are not cooking D9's here just let it warm up a bit.

If you want to be even more cautious you can take the computer on a really shallow dive, say 30' then warm it up and look for signs of leaking. Then if everything is ok, take it on a deeper dive. The thought is if it leaks it will at least have leaked less helping to minimize any possible damage and letting you get into the watch more quickly to clean things up.
Heh Brett - this looks great. One question please I have a Panasonic battery that has a smaller neck (tho still have one) than the one in your picture. I'm going to give it a try, but please can you say which brand that you used please. Thanks for the great work.

Stalkera,

I was thinking it was a Panasonic battery, but in checking my pictures I think a Varta battery came out of it and I installed a Sony as it's replacement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom