First Time Equipment Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

romanmw

Registered
Reaction score
I am seriously considering buying my first equipment and was just wondering if I could your all's opinions. Heres what I am looking at

Computer: Oceanic Pro plus 2 air/nitrox w quick disconnect
BCD: Tusa Platina Evolution
Reg: Tusa Platin adjustable Reg
octo: Tusa Duo-Air Combo Inflator

What do you guys think. So far all of my experience has been with oceanic rental equipment.

I am seriously considering buying my first equipment and was just wondering if I could your all's opinions. Heres what I am looking at

Reg: Tusa Platin adjustable Reg
octo: Tusa Duo-Air Combo Inflator

What do you guys think. So far all of my experience has been with oceanic rental equipment.

Have you decided on what type of diving you are going to do? Warm, cold lakes, salt. Tech, caves wrecks. All these factors need to come into play before you decide to go out and spend$$. Beleiev me i learned the hard way, 3bc's later. Now i dive a bp/w set up and other gear. Take your time, weigh your options, and talk to others.That is just MOO.

Ditch the octo / inflator combo.

I really, really don't like them and this is why.

You are going to donate your primary to an OOG diver. That diver is already stressed. The hose on your primary is designed to be used by you and is too short to donate to an OOG diver. When you donate your primary and you switch to your secondary the hose is so short that it is almost impossible to maintain eye contact with the OOG diver.

Another argument for not getting the combo set it is that typically you have a specialized LP connector. That means that you cannot take your regs and put them on someone others BC, unless they have the same octo / inflator, or at least the same LP hook up. That means if you regs are in for service, or not working, you can't stick another set of regs on your BC, unless they have the same hook up as your octo / inflator.

Sure it eliminates a hose, but I don't think the trade off is this case is worth it. If you want to eliminate a hose, get a wireless AI computer.

Consider a traditional octo on a longer, 40", hose as a better alternative.

Most of my diving will be in lakes in quaries in ky. With a couple trips a year to warmer waters. Thanks for opinions so far, it helps me think through details I may have overlooked.

Most of my diving will be in lakes in quaries in ky. With a couple trips a year to warmer waters. Thanks for opinions so far, it helps me think through details I may have overlooked.

If you are going to do the diving that you mentioned here, then the above equipment shopuld be fine. The only thing i would strongly re-consider is the octo/ inflator. Hard to deal with an ooa sisutation, and dump air from your bc. and let your buddy breath off your reg. Big balancing act, would not want to do it beng a new diver. Would not want to do it being a advanced diver:no:

If you're going to be diving locally, I'm going to assume you're water in KY aren't warm and tropical. Get yourself an environmentally sealed regulator rated for cold water service. I don't know if the reg you have specd out is sealed or not.

At least you'll need a long hose on the primary reg.
I would buy additional a normal octo and try first how you can handle the inflator-reg.
Consider: you give your primary, at the same time you need to get the inflator in your mouth and push out the water, the other dive will push you up or down as he is nervous, maybe unskilled and can't regulate himself. as well there might be a current.

Contact the guys at Scuba Toys and tell them you're about to buy the Tusa package from Leisurepro.com. :wink:

I was looking at the exact package a few weeks back, went to Scubatoys (It's a LDS for me, but they do online and SB.com members get taken care of) and they whipped the hell out of that package deal. Same price, but gear twice as good:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/general-scuba-equipment-discussions/326677-smoking-deals.html

For sure! I just contacted Scuba Toys about a package from LP that I was looking at, and they gave me the same package, added in about $350.00 worth of additional gear that I was looking to buy, and still matched the price.

Joe at Scubatoys.com said "Anyone can make a sale, I like to make customers" and let me tell you, he means it. They will surely take very good care of you.

So taking the advice of the divers here on the forums I have adjusted what I am getting. Envirmentally sealed primary, standard octo secondary; both in a brand my lds can service on site.

Octo: Yellow Oceanic Alpha 8
Primary: Oceanic Neo cdx-5 dvt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom