Bananarama and first trip to roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thedebinator

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We just booked our first trip to Roatan at the Bananarama Diving resort. My partner and I are newbie vacation divers (certified feb 2009) and have very few dives under our belts (6 in Cozumel and 1 in Destin). Are there any dives that a newbie such as ourselves should avoid at all costs? Our buoyancy control is pretty good, as well as basic skills. (as good as a newbie can be anyway). We weren't real thrilled with the swim throughs (didn't like the closed in feeling) at Palancar Gardens in Cozumel- it was beautiful though. So far our most favorite dives were in the 40-60ft range. But i think that had to do as much with the visibility and the amount of critters we encountered as the depth.

Any recommendations on must see/do activities under water and top side would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Deb

My wife an I basically have the same level of experience as you describe, and the same questions about Roatan. Lots of good information here on the board.

We leave tonight, and will be diving with either Bannanrama or Mayan Divers. Will post up a trip report when I return.

Cheers!

We weren't real thrilled with the swim throughs (didn't like the closed in feeling)
Probably want to avoid Spooky Channel then...:D

Although I don't know if Bananarama will go that far east.

fwiw, the Anthony's Key Dolphin dive is done in 60'...

I did my initial certification and my first 30 dives with Bananarama two years ago. They will take good care of you and after an additional 100+ dives, I am diving with them again in April. Good group of people and very professional.

Probably want to avoid Spooky Channel then...:D

Although I don't know if Bananarama will go that far east.

fwiw, the Anthony's Key Dolphin dive is done in 60'...

Does anyone go to the channel just East of Spooky and Four Sponges? There is no buoy.

I did my initial certification and my first 30 dives with Bananarama two years ago. They will take good care of you and after an additional 100+ dives, I am diving with them again in April. Good group of people and very professional.

Hey Pimdiver,
When are you going to be there? We also dove with them two years ago and had a great time. We'll be back there in three weeks, from the 10th-17th. Can't wait!

Bananarama will take good care of you...

In my opion Roatan is one of the best places for new divers:

1. Reef Structure - there is no need for you to go down 80 feet and burn air with the rest of the group - you can profile at 30 or 40 and never loose sight the DM and still have all kinds of great stuff to see....

2. Water clarity is good to very good

3. Most of the year water is warm 80+ except Late NOV-DEC-JAN-early Feb

4. Most likely you will never be more then 300 yards from shore

5. Dive sites are close so boat rides are short and you don't have to prepare for a day long boat outing

6. With very few excepetions current is minimal or no-existant

While you are there do the Agula I know it's a 100 foot dive to the sand but the bow is only around 80 and the mast sticks up to 60 - you can see the bow on your decent and just head for it - the group will only stay on the wreck for 10 to 12 minutes then swim 50 yards to the reef to finish out the dive - lots of big Grouper and Eals.

As far as swim throughs are conerned just swim over the top and follow the bubbles...
and ask not to go to Canyon Reef....

Believe me you'll have a great time

PM me if I can be of further help

HowieDean

Does anyone go to the channel just East of Spooky and Four Sponges? There is no buoy.

When I was there is January, we did go to 4 sponges. As I recall it was a great dive, one of my favorites. Along with the other 16 dive I did that week!

Hey Pimdiver,
When are you going to be there? We also dove with them two years ago and had a great time. We'll be back there in three weeks, from the 10th-17th. Can't wait!

Sadly we won't be going until the beginning of August, wish it were sooner but that is how it goes.

Jerlane,

We will be at Bananarama from the 8th til the 10th of April, then we go to Cocoview for a week....can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom