Apek vs. Dacor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zygut

New
Reaction score
I've spent most of the day reading reviews of regulators, advice, these forums, and have pretty much narrowed down the options for myself for my first regulator. I am in colder water (7mm), and am looking for something good, but not expensive.

I have heard nothing but raves for the Apek. I am located in the states (washington), so I am a little concerned about servicability. Some people here swear that the TX40/DS4 is better than the TX40 plain or the TX50. I don't really understand the difference (except for the fact that the TX50 is about $45 more expensive), can someone please advise?

Also, I've heard good things about the Dacor Fury, and Oceanic Alpha 7. The Dacor Fury on DiveINN is about $70 (and the fury adj is about $10 more), I can't really tell the difference from what the various websites say, please help me sort it out!

I assume that I am to order a yoke screw, since thats what you get here in the US, although I've heard DIN is better, I am afraid of having non-standard US equipment.

I am looking for reliable, good price, and "security" for repairs and serviceability, I really want my money to go a long way! Thanks for any clarification you folks can give!

The difference between the TX50 second stage and the TX40 second stage is that the TX50 second stage has an inhalation resistance control knob. The difference between the "plain" TX50 first stage (also called the DST) and the DS4 is the DST has 4 MP ports (1 1/2 and 3 3/8) and 2 HP and is a swivel, and the DS4 has 4 MP ports (all 3/8) and 1 HP and is non-swivel. The DS4 is also only available in DIN whereas the DST is available in both DIN and Yoke. As for servicability, don't let that be an issue, you'll have no problems finding a place to get them serviced. Any place that carries SeaQuest or Aqual Lung will probably also carry and service Apeks.

As for DIN vs. Yoke, there are several threads you can read, but here's what I would suggest. If you mostly dive with your own tanks, get DIN valves for them and a DIN first stage, and get an A clamp adapter (~$30) for when you travel or use rented tanks. If you mostly rent tanks, then go with Yoke first stage (unless you really want the DS4), with the DST you can always get the DIN conversion kit later if you want to go that route. Personally I wanted DIN, I wanted non-swivel, and I wanted all 3/8 MP ports, so the DS4 was a dead-on match.

I just recently got the DS4 first stage, with an ATX200 for my primary and an ATX50 for my backup. I primarily dive with my own tanks, one has a DIN H-valve, and the other has a Yoke valve that I'll probably be swapping for a DIN valve this summer. The A clamp adapter takes about 20 seconds to connect when I need to use the DS4 with Yoke valves.

From the regs you listed, I would go with the Apeks. Anything is better than Dacor. Oceanic is ok, just as long as you don't mind using ten year old copied Scubapro technology.

If you really want your money go a long way you should buy from a dealer. The reason is that you will get free parts for an Apeks, but if you buy from DiveInn you will have to pay around $50 a year for parts. You do the math, but it won't take you long to pay for the extra price from a dealer.

Hi,
I just ordered and received a TX50/TX40 Octo combo with the DS4 first stage and it is available in yoke. You might also see it called A-clamp on the website. I ordered from DiveInn and was given the choice of DIN or YOKE. Shipping etc. was $24US and I got it in just 4 days, even though it was on backorder.
Dmentia

As you've probably read, I really like the Apeks regs. I like the DS4 firsts because they don't have the unnecessary swival and 1/2" port. I just bought one with a TX40 second from DiveINN and used it today in ice water (IP set at 130psi). It makes for a fantastic backup reg to a TX50, TX100, or ATX200.

I recommend DIN if you're using your own tanks (or plan on getting your own tanks). You can get DIN on your regs and buy a DIN to yoke adaptor for yoke valves. Or, you can buy the yoke conversion to make your DIN reg a yoke (takes a few seconds to convert). I believe the yoke conversion is cheaper than a DIN convertor, but the cost of getting a yoke reg or DIN reg is the same. Did ya get that? Buy a DIN reg, buy a yoke adaptor for it (or the yoke conversion) -- this should be cheaper than buying a yoke reg and converting it to DIN down the road (I think).

Good luck.

Mike

PS. Don't worry about service.

Originally posted by pgraham11
The difference between the TX50 second stage and the TX40 second stage is that the TX50 second stage has an inhalation resistance control knob.

Sounds like something I don't really need, while I have used a regulator that I was annoyed with the resistance of the inhalation, it was regulator specific, so I probably don't need this.

The difference between the "plain" TX50 first stage (also called the DST) and the DS4 is the DST has 4 MP ports (1 1/2 and 3 3/8) and 2 HP and is a swivel, and the DS4 has 4 MP ports (all 3/8) and 1 HP and is non-swivel.

So the difference is in number of ports and if it swivels or not, and the DST has a 1/2 MP (medium pressure?) port. It sounds, from the rest of your post, that the swivel is *not* a good thing? Why is that? Remember you are talking to a newbie here :)

As for DIN vs. Yoke, there are several threads you can read, but here's what I would suggest. If you mostly dive with your own tanks, get DIN valves for them and a DIN first stage, and get an A clamp adapter (~$30) for when you travel or use rented tanks.

Can you tell me why you would suggest a DIN over a yoke? Yoke is standard in the US, and I assume that if you get a DIN you need to have a DIN tank too.

Thanks!

Originally posted by scuba_adventurer

If you really want your money go a long way you should buy from a dealer. The reason is that you will get free parts for an Apeks, but if you buy from DiveInn you will have to pay around $50 a year for parts. You do the math, but it won't take you long to pay for the extra price from a dealer.

Finding an Apek dealer in the US might be difficult. :(

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
I recommend DIN if you're using your own tanks (or plan on getting your own tanks). You can get DIN on your regs and buy a DIN to yoke adaptor for yoke valves. Or, you can buy the yoke conversion to make your DIN reg a yoke (takes a few seconds to convert). I believe the yoke conversion is cheaper than a DIN convertor, but the cost of getting a yoke reg or DIN reg is the same. Did ya get that? Buy a DIN reg, buy a yoke adaptor for it (or the yoke conversion) -- this should be cheaper than buying a yoke reg and converting it to DIN down the road (I think).

Why do you recommend a DIN if I am using my own tanks? I probably will only get one tank to begin with, and then rent the second when I pick up air, just because I dont have much money to spend all at once, so I'll probably get the yoke or the yoke converter if having DIN is really that much better.

PS. Don't worry about service.

Can you explain? Even though you say not to worry about it, I am still slightly worried. I am worried about where I will get it serviced and what it will cost me yearly.

Thanks!

Originally posted by zygut

Finding an Apek dealer in the US might be difficult. :(
There are Apeks dealers all over the US man, they are distributed by SeaQuest. As pgraham11 mentioned any SeaQuest/Aqualung Dealer should be able to service Apeks regs too.

"Can you tell me why you would suggest a DIN over a yoke? Yoke is standard in the US, and I assume that if you get a DIN you need to have a DIN tank too."

Yes, you would have to have a DIN valve to use a DIN reg unless you bought a yoke adaptor or yoke convertor.

"So the difference is in number of ports and if it swivels or not, and the DST has a 1/2 MP (medium pressure?) port. It sounds, from the rest of your post, that the swivel is *not* a good thing? Why is that? Remember you are talking to a newbie here."

I don't like swivals because they are absolutely unneeded and only offer another place for a failure to occur. It's not uncommon for bubbles to start leaking from a swival. Technical divers are more inclined to worry about this than recreational divers, but since there's no reason for the swival, I don't recommend them.

"Can you explain? Even though you say not to worry about it, I am still slightly worried. I am worried about where I will get it serviced and what it will cost me yearly."

Sure, the price difference between a LDS price and a online price is often so great that you buy a lot of parts for the cost difference. Personally, I don't service my regs yearly as I know better than to do so. I don't have an Apeks dealer for who knows how many miles, and you won't see me sweatin' :). Apeks regs are built about as well as a reg can be built and they are renowned for their long term reliabilty.

"Why do you recommend a DIN if I am using my own tanks? I probably will only get one tank to begin with, and then rent the second when I pick up air, just because I dont have much money to spend all at once, so I'll probably get the yoke or the yoke converter if having DIN is really that much better."

DIN offers a better connection to a valve than a yoke. This is particulary important to overhead divers. If you're using you own tanks, then you won't have to worry about converting or adapting back and forth all the time. If you want to save money in the long run, buy a DIN reg with a yoke conversion (not the adaptor). Buy a DIN valve for your tank and simply convert to yoke when you rent a tank. The conversion takes only a couple minutes and is better than the yoke adaptor (which bring the first stage closer to your head -- ouch).

Take care.

Mike

PS. I highly recommend the adjustable second stage.

Back
Top Bottom