23 days to first Bonaire trip! Please share your best tips.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will have to try them. Just 1 more day and we fly!

Have a great trip! Another place to try for a quick bite during an SI is the Eli Deli across the street from Sand$ in a small strip mall. They have GREAT sandwiches and other items and are reasonablly priced. Next door is also a wine shop owned by Deepak (who owns Bonaire Gift in town). They have a great selection of wines at reasonable prices.

Can't wait for your on island report!

Maine Diver, so............how was your trip to Bonaire? Did you get to eat a molasses croisant? Hmmm, how about the iguana stew? Oh, and the diving too...hahah! :)

Sand $ is great if they still have their "unlimited nitrox" promotion.

As for the dive sites, I highly recommend sites North of the oil distillery. After Karpata, cross the canal and turn right along the fence, then left. Eventually you will get to a small plaza with a couple of fishermen shacks and a pond with flamingos to the right. The entrance is very easy. We saw the biggest brain and mushrooms coral we ever saw anywhere at this site (last accessed: Dec 2007). You need a 4WD to get there, of course. If you go South, do it either very early or alternatively in the late morning to avoid morning traffic in the city.

We saw no point in boat diving trips to Klein Bonnaire; however, in out last day we rentrd a kayak and took our snorkeling gear there. This was excellent, with many turtles and puffers seen in shallow water.

Last edited:
The reef to the left (N) is in pretty bad shape, so better go right (S).

Assuming you are looking out to sea, north is to the right and south is to the left.....or Den Laman to the south and Buddy Dive to the north.

Assuming you are looking out to sea, north is to the right and south is to the left.....or Den Laman to the south and Buddy Dive to the north.

Correct...I got messed up. Anyway, the better reef is toward Captain Don's, not toward the city.

Correct...I got messed up. Anyway, the better reef is toward Captain Don's, not toward the city.

There's actually a pretty neat wrecked dock just south of the BDA dock in ~10'. It can be pretty surgy, but it is really neat to swim through, especially finding it the first time.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom