Where to get underwater photography training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunshinecat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I would like to take an underwater photography class in Grand Cayman and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on good instructors? I looked into Cathy Church but can't afford private lessons, so I'm looking more at the PADI class or similar group settings. Thanks!

Take a look at Jim Church photo course on the aggressor fleet site. Jim has passed away but mike and mike teach the courses now. They were long time jim church assistants. You will get 4 or 5 dives a day as well as at least 2 classes a day and one on one coaching. Your photography will progress very quickly. As far as padi or ssi courses they will only teach you to put the camera on auto and push button.
Mike and Mike Workshops

I had a friend that took a 2 hr private lesson from Cathy Church. Cost him $150 bucks. She examined his camera and gave him some pointers regarding HIS PARTICULAR CAMERA gear for about 30 minutes.

Took him diving for about an hour. She'd point to something and then shoot it with his camera. Then she gave it to him to do the same. Repeated the same steps over and over on different subjects and objects. Even pointed out the settings for most of the shots.

Got back and then went through both of their sets of pictures, pointing out what was wrong with this one, how to make that one better, etc. She went over the settings again for each shot. He said he was in awe of the personalization and patience of the legend herself. He took notes, and got way more than his moneys worth. He's a pretty decent photographer now too.

I'd still say go with Cathy Church. Ask her about taking photos of eagle rays. :wink:

It's nice to see Cathy's name come up so often, she is really great. She won the diver of the year award this past weekend at the Beneath The Sea show.

While you're waiting to take an in-person course, here's a good place to start for info on various underwater photography techniques from getting started all the way to advanced techniques, hope it helps -
Underwater Photography Techniques

Back
Top Bottom