Cayman Diving Lodge - Been there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puck

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone stayed at the Cayman Diving Lodge? What are your thoughts. From the brief posts I have read, it sounds like the diving is great. How about the accomodations, food, etc. Was it a value? 4 of us are looking to book a trip, and this place is my job to research. All of us will have just 4-6 post-OW-Cert dives under our weight belts. Thanks in advance for all of your help. :wink:

Puck:
Has anyone stayed at the Cayman Diving Lodge? What are your thoughts. From the brief posts I have read, it sounds like the diving is great. How about the accomodations, food, etc. Was it a value? 4 of us are looking to book a trip, and this place is my job to research. All of us will have just 4-6 post-OW-Cert dives under our weight belts. Thanks in advance for all of your help. :wink:

The Cayman Dive Lodge is a great place to dive. The divemasters are all fun and professional. They look for sites that have little or no current, and the DMs are in the water guiding you, so as new divers, you should have no trouble. One wall dive and one reef dive, usually with swimthroughs on both, is the norm. They are also very good about paying attention to the group, but not so much that you feel like you couldn't do anything but follow the leader. Also, you'll almost always hear the diving on the east/north end of Cayman is the best the island has to offer. They offer night dives, and I believe still offer a weekly trip to Stingray City.

In addition, they give you lockers for your equipment, and will take it to and from the boat, rinse it, and set it up for you each day. They also switch tanks for you during the surface interval. Unless you want to, you don't have to do anything except get your wetsuit each morning to be ready to dive.

I have stayed there twice, and even though my Father-in-Law now has a time share at Morritt's on the east end, we still dive with CDL. That is how good we think they are. We will be going again in March for a week, and diving with them while staying at the time-share.

Now, there are a couple of other things to consider. If you are staying there, it is an all-inclusive deal except for liquor and canned soda. The East End is 30 minutes from Georgetown and the bars and parties, so if you are looking for night life after diving, there is none on the East End to speak of. CDL is more about the diving and peace and quiet, rather than diving followed by nights on the town.

The accomodations are very basic. No tv and no phone in the room. Bed, dresser, shower. The food is plentiful and very good. They post the menu in advance, so if you feel the need to go out to a restaurant, you can skip a night that has something you don't like maybe. In a nutshell, they do airport transports for you, and once you are there, you don't have to leave unless you want to.

So, if you are going for parties and sightseeing, east end is a bit removed from all that and you have to travel a bit to get there (with a rental car it is easily done though). If, on the other hand, you are going for diving, diving and some diving, CDL will be a great place and you won't regret it,

I agree with dmentia, CDL is hard to beat. We were there in July and it was great. The staff is truly outstanding and the diving is excellent. They offer an all-inclusive package based on either 2 or 3 tanks per day. Two AM dives are typically first dive: wall, second dive: 60' reef with many swim-thrus. Third dive after lunch is usually also a mid-depth reef.

CDL takes photos of the diving each morning and posts them on their website by afternoon. Friends and family back home can follow your adventures and email you at the Lodge with their envious comments.

I stayed there last year, and am heading back in about a month. :bounce:

dmentia and tvictory are pretty much right on. It's a dive lodge, and there isn't a whole heckuva lot to do there if you're not a diver. No night life to speak of, other than what you and the other guests make on your own.

If you are into diving, then this is an awesome place. Good for students too, as the instruction is one-on-one. Check their website - http://www.divelodge.com - and their daily dive report to get a better idea of what the place is like and how the diving looks.

Back
Top Bottom