Air Boat recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oneshotshooter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Our local sheriffs Department wants to explore the possibilities of an airboat based on my recommendation. I know absolutely nothing about them other than they would be ideal for some of the rescues that we need here on thin ice, bad ice, or in the river.

We don't need it to be superfast. I would like to be able to accommodate 3 to 4 passengers with two sets of dive gear and room for a stretcher.

Thanks

My Airboat recommendation would be to explore other options. We have had one and got rid of it in short order.

First off handling is not precise. They will get you close but with all the pressure on either not close enough or you may even run over them. They can be a real handful in even light winds. They can very easily knock a victim on an ice surface off the ice which isn’t a good thing.

The size you are thinking about is even going to be more of a problem. You’re talking 3-4 people plus 2 sets of gear (should be 3) and a litter. That is going to work out to a pilot, 2 divers and a stand-by. Three sets of gear a litter and a victim that might be very heavy. Now here is the kicker. It all needs to stay balanced which would be almost impossible.

We have tried the 3 and 4 person units and they are just not suitable. Now if you’re looking for a toy, duck hunting transportation or shallow water fishing boat they work well.

Check out the other more suitable rescue/recovery designed tools that have been proven to work over the years.

My Airboat recommendation would be to explore other options. We have had one and got rid of it in short order.

First off handling is not precise. They will get you close but with all the pressure on either not close enough or you may even run over them. They can be a real handful in even light winds. They can very easily knock a victim on an ice surface off the ice which isn’t a good thing.

The size you are thinking about is even going to be more of a problem. You’re talking 3-4 people plus 2 sets of gear (should be 3) and a litter. That is going to work out to a pilot, 2 divers and a stand-by. Three sets of gear a litter and a victim that might be very heavy. Now here is the kicker. It all needs to stay balanced which would be almost impossible.

We have tried the 3 and 4 person units and they are just not suitable. Now if you’re looking for a toy, duck hunting transportation or shallow water fishing boat they work well.

Check out the other more suitable rescue/recovery designed tools that have been proven to work over the years.

what then would you recommend, that would work both for thin ice, and also shallow river?

Why should there be three sets of gear? One diver, one safety diver, and one tender. We wouldn't be planning on backing up to the victim, or even going straight at them :bonk:

Please elaborate on more suitable rescue/recovery tools. And if they are so inefficient why is it every time you see a thin ice rescue they use an airboat?

We have been using one for about a year now, and it works very well. Part of the Great Salt Lake is in our county and that is the main use of the air boat, but we have also used it for Ice dive training, and body recoveries on high elevation lakes not accessible by a larger boat. We have had 8 people in our boat on ice, shallow water and deep water with no problems. You do need a skilled operator which we do. This boat has proved very use full for us. I don't have the specifics as to the make or model, but I can find out if you would like me too.

IMG00012-20081206-1123.jpg DrivingAirboat.JPG

My bad, I was thinking Hovercraft and not a rigid hull airboat. BIG difference. Replace "airboat" with "Hovercraft" in my post above.

Always figure for more space and weight than you think you will need. If you're maxed out before you start you're asking for trouble. If you need two divers figure for three or more. If you need space for one victim figure for two. Not all that long ago a rescue boat went down with a live victim on it who ended up not surviving as a result of overloading. Don't put yourself in that situation.

I agree with Gary on the Hovercraft. It's a fun toy, but not a very useful tool.
IMG00038-20090821-1722.jpg IMG00039-20090822-1634.jpg

Thank you. Yes please do send specifics.

We have been using one for about a year now, and it works very well. Part of the Great Salt Lake is in our county and that is the main use of the air boat, but we have also used it for Ice dive training, and body recoveries on high elevation lakes not accessible by a larger boat. We have had 8 people in our boat on ice, shallow water and deep water with no problems. You do need a skilled operator which we do. This boat has proved very use full for us. I don't have the specifics as to the make or model, but I can find out if you would like me too.

View attachment 74240 View attachment 74246

One of our local S&R groups purchased an air boat a few years ago. I am sure they have good uses, but it was a bit more difficult to handle than a normal boat and have very little free board. The river in this area is normally very tranquil.....

Woman Dies When Rescue Boat Capsizes River was calm, witnesses said Posted 11:01 a.m. EDT August 23, 2006

CHARLESTOWN, N.H. -- An injured Vermont woman died after a rescue boat carrying her to an ambulance capsized in the Connecticut River.

A witness who was with the woman said Virginia Yates, 60, of Rockingham, Vt., was injured when she fell getting off his pontoon boat onto a friend's dock Tuesday afternoon.

Edgar Emerson told the Rutland Herald that Yates hurt her head and ankle. Emerson said Yates could not walk up the 100-plus steps to the friend's home. Rescuers decided to take her to an ambulance by boat.

Fish and Game Sergeant Craig Morrocco said a rescue crew from Cornish, N.H., brought her onto their flat-bottomed airboat. Rescuers strapped her onto a backboard, but the boat capsized on its way to the ambulance and the victim disappeared in the water as the boat went under.

Witnesses said the river was calm and there was no wind or rain at the time.

Thanks Grumpy. That's the one I was refering to.

Back
Top Bottom