Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this is actually my first trip away for diving...been to Florida before but went to St. Augustine and of course Walt Disney etc.... Can't wait ...

What about diving with the resort?

We always dive off of our own boat, and I haven't had the chance to dive the Grove yet so I'm in the same boat (so to speak as you are) regarding dive operators in that area. :wink:

starfish365:
this is actually my first trip away for diving...been to Florida before but went to St. Augustine and of course Walt Disney etc.... Can't wait ...

What about diving with the resort?

RicanDiver:
Is there a lot of current on the Grove? How does one get to it? Guide line, swim down? I heard that there are guide lines through out the inside of the wreck. Just wondering, this would be the largest wreck I have ever hit, hopefully will log it this weekend.

Dived it on a Monday almost a year ago with a screaming current - hanging onto the down/mooring line or else, legs straight out like a flag in the wind, until I got to the wreck. Once there, got downcurrent and swam. Had to be careful to not lose hold of the line, or the dive would be aborted, as i'd never swim back; have to be picked up later.

Then dived it again on Friday of that week, no current - weird. Just depends on the wanderings of the Gulf Stream. Fun dive both ways.

Strongly suggest:
Wear gloves, to protect from barnacles, etc on the lines, getting pushed into the wreck, even a bumpy boarding on the boat;
Long suit, or a good first aid kit;
Knife or shears, in case of fishing line - possible; and
Flashlight - to shine into dark areas.

There were guidelines installed inside the ship for possible swim thrus, but an accident sunk the ship early as it was being towed to place. It first settled with its bow in the air, but was pulled over on one side - not upright, so I don't think the guidelines are being used.

starfish365:
We're planning a trip to the Spiegel May 23 - 30th....since I need to buy a new wetsuit (I only have 7mm right now) any recommendations? 5mm 2 piece ok? I like the idea of a 2 piece.
Hopefully we'll be staying at the Marriott Key Largo Bay Beach resort - they run their own dive boats and rentals...anyone have an qualms about that or should we go with local LDS.

I'm 6 foot by 200+ pounds, and I'd expect to dive the Grove in a 1 mil that late in the spring. Everyone's cold tolerance is different, but if you dive a 7 mil up yonder, I would think a 3 mil would be plenty - if that much.

You can get surface conditions here - air & water, although it'll be cooler at depth:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.phtml?station=MLRF1

This sites updates continuously. I keep it on my cell-phone speed dial and call it for fun. :wink:

don

Having just returned from the keys, I can tell you that the Grove is a really impressive dive, it would take a week just to get comfortable with it. We did 2 dives on it in the morning and both were drifts from the stern to the bow. The current was negligable but it was nice to be able to see the whole thing.

We also did the Eagle and the Duane and I would have to say the Eagle was my favorite of the 3. Plan on 100' dives for all three wrecks. Did them on eanx 32 and had enough bottom time to see them. Didn't do any penetration (nor would I recommend it) but there are plenty of holes to shine the light into.

Have fun!

Rachel

thanks for all the info everyone....keep it coming - the more the better.....I'm so excited about the trip its almost scary ....

the weather is getting up to a balmy 4C this weekend and I can't wait for spring.... :dance_2:

To answer the original question that I saw...

Conch Republic Divers will hook you up with a 2 dive trip to Spiegel. They have become my favorite dive boat to hit in the Upper/Middle Keys. Conch Republic has been very accomidating to my diving profile desires. I have taken a trip with them to the Spiegel where we did a double dive on the Spiegel with an hour dive interval in between. The last time I was diving with them...their large boat is getting an overhaul. To compliment their larger boat...they have a six pack boat. Call early enough...and they will set the date that you want to dive to what you want to do. Gary and Brenda are the owners there...and when they say the friendliest dive boat in the Keys....I don't think that they are just pulling your leg. When I go diving in the Keys....that is the boat that I take. They have been both kind and accomidating to me. I highly recommend them.

As an added bonus, they have hot showers at the dock where you can take a shower. Very nice when you want to go about a 10th of a mile south and hit a great little post dive resturant....cannot recall the name at the moment.

Tell them that I sent you...I think that you will enjoy your trip.

Best wishes on your upcoming dive!

I dove the Grove with Silent World in January. Good shop/boat, multiple dives to the wreck, small group on board.

Here's the contact info from their web site (Don't you just love cut and paste?!?):

Silent World Dive Center is located at MileMarker 103.2 bayside, in Key Largo's Central Plaza. For reservations or further information, call us at 800-966-DIVE (3483) or 305-451-3252;

Yes, try "Rainbow Reef", they usually do one in the morning and one in the afternoon. A word of caution: The current can be rather stiff depending on the tides. Some operators will cancel and go to another spot because of it sometimes. Make sure you ask.

Good Luck.

NeoDiver

A current is something I wouldn't have thought of....being a fresh water freak...I've never been in the ocean before...silly me. Thanks will be sure to watch the tides for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom