just curious

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jclomi1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am doing my open water dives in Crystal River. Can not wait. But can someone tell me what is it like once you go under the water? I know this sounds kind of dumb but is it like the pool where it seems like you are swimming faster than you actually are I guess is the proper ? I hope this is not a dumb question Im just curious is all

THanks
Jeffrey:D

Interesting question....

In the pool it was all about learning. You know you were in a pool. Being in with other new clumsy divers measuring 8 feet in length with fins there was never enough space and even in a large college pool. It was most assuredly a confined water experience.

I already knew the dive site we certified at as a skin-diving site so the shallows were somewhat familiar. The first time we dropped into that open water site it was one of those "holly crap this is for real" moments that you never forget. The skills from the pool were familiar and adequate but it was open water. It was a rugged site with some wave action and plentiful rocky bottom features. Being feature rich you had a much better perspective of distance and speed.

Until you develop a little as a diver distance speed and all of that stuff is deceptive.

I think you'll like it.

Pete

In many ways, it is similar, and in many ways different.

Speed is not an issue. Over time, you will get better at using your fins to move as fast as you will need to go (which is usually pretty slow, but FAR faster than swimming without fins.)

The biggest differences I see are: Your buoyancy is easier to control at depths greater than a swimming pool and there is so much more to enjoy than what can be seen in a swimming pool.

Like others said, same but different.

Alot probably depends on the area you are diving. For me, there was a lot more going on for our first open water dives, so there is a lot more sensory input than in the pool. That took a little getting used to (like everything when new, it takes a while to cope with all the new sensory input).

For us (wife and I) it was also cold as &*&! when we did our O/W dives (57* here in DFW), so that was a definite distraction.

As far as speed, it's the same, but you'll have a more open area, so something to look at and swim toward. You may not end up doing a whole lot of swimming though, mostly drills.

Buoyancy is easier to control a little deeper once your suit "crushes" (if wearing a wetsuit), but in O/W you'll be more mindful of touching bottom - in the pool it's alot easier to just put a foot down and not realize/care...

Have FUN!!!!

biggest difference: there won't be any squishy rockets or hula hoops.

It may seem a bit like the pool depending on where you are diving at Crystal River. For as big as King's bay looks, there isn't much room to get any depth. I hope you get over to Three Sister's Spring. The first one is a nice bowl, the second is so-so and the third, well, I wouldn't bother again. Still, you must do them all at least once.

Enjoy the dive.

Cheers,
Jeff G.

Greetings Jclomi1 and welcome to Scuba Board if you have not been yet.
The underwater experience is sort of like the pool but far much more in terms of scale!
The pool can give one a sense of confinement and depending on your level of comfort in the water this can be pretty boring for some. You are focusing on skills and gaining mastery of them.
In open water the skills are a part of the dive but there is time to experience the environment, take in the sights, practice finning and buoyancy in real diving conditions.
In my personal experience OW dive #1 was the turning point in my diving future. I had struggled to master the skills in the pool but once I hit the open water it all messed and I fell in love! There were fish, all sorts of creatures, and best of all it was like being in space! I felt strangely at home and determined that I was going to be a diver!
Since that first real dive I have experienced the thrill, and adventure many times over.
I am still blown away by just being weightless "properly weighted" neutrally buoyant in the water. Whether in a cave, OW, or a pool I just love diving!
We just returned from Crystal River snorkeling with the manatees. What a great experience as a family. Bird's provided a awesome time and very professional crew!
In my experience the open water was so much more interesting and was the place to show your mastery of the skills. In the start you will have rough dives as you are learning to apply your skills but while doing so the environment is so interesting.
It compelled me to keep training and learning and to dive like there was no tomorrow! Within two weeks of our OW dives we purchased two complete sets of gear and signed up for AOW. That was the beginning of my experience.
Welcome to the adventure and enjoy your personal journey! It is amazing!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Thanks for everyone responding. I feel comfortable with my skills. I did everyone great but one clearing the mask. But after several attempts I was able to get it every time. I can see how important that skill is. You dont want to be down and have blurred vision. But I did it like until I was able to do it again and again. Im leaving on Friday morning will keep you posted when I get back. I plan on eventually buying a camera once im certified and feel comfortable underwater. Thanks again this board helped me out in so many ways I cant begin to tell you. Anyhow Happy Late Easter all and have a nice week

Thanks
Jeffrey

Nice discussion. I hope I'll be able to remember these thoughts once I hit the water. Does any of you guys have any advice where a first-time diver should dive?? Thanks guys and Happy Diving! :)

Nice discussion. I hope I'll be able to remember these thoughts once I hit the water. Does any of you guys have any advice where a first-time diver should dive?? Thanks guys and Happy Diving! :)

In a pool?

Back
Top Bottom