LDS Support or Mfg's strike back at online sales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeekDiver:
Tag line under the pic goes like this:
Did you Know? Only AUTHORIZED SCUBA RETAILERS Can provide Serivce and Parts on the Gear they Sell You.

Scuba.com (diversdiscount.com) is an LDS for me, they are about 15 minutes away. They are authorized resellers on ALL merchandise they sell and it all carries the MFG warranty. On top of that they match LP's prices. How can you beat that?

Personally, I've been to 3 LDSs in 2 states.

The first, in Jersey, is run by a very good guy, will knock a % off the MSRP to get your business. That's how I got my VT pro for a good bit off MSRP.

The second, also in jersey...oy. I've had my Mk20UL in there for yearly maintainence twice and once for an O2 cleaning. Every damn time it comes back, it's leaking from somewhere a bit. And every time the guy says "oops, it shouldn't do that." I will not be taking my reg back there.

The third, in NY, is awesome. They have given me nothing but quality service in my classes, my fills, my gear, and the one-on-one attention is superb. I will stay with them and use them as my repair center from now on.

I prefer to buy from a LDS with a good rep, because you have the eye-to-eye contact that you can get past the lies and flim flam that a lot of advertising puts out nowadays. But I have also bought online, and I haven't been too disappointed as of yet.

robdamanii:
The second, also in jersey...oy. I've had my Mk20UL in there for yearly maintainence twice and once for an O2 cleaning. Every damn time it comes back, it's leaking from somewhere a bit. And every time the guy says "oops, it shouldn't do that." I will not be taking my reg back there.

"Oy" is right.

You do know (did they tell you?) that a MK20UL, being made out of aluminum (body), should not be used for elevated O2 mixtures, right?

To 40% is probably ok, but you don't need to O2 clean it for that. If you're using that reg for deco service, stop doing it right now, because that is grossly unsafe, and the shop should have refused to "O2 clean" it.

Either way you were ripped off. You were sold an unnecessary "cleaning" and even worse, if they told you it was ok to use this on a deco tank, they could have easily gotten you seriously injured or killed. Consider having a reg blow up in your face, literally, when you turn on a slung deco bottle underwater.

Aluminum burns like hell in the presence of high FO2s. Just ask the medical oxygen regulator folks who had to recall and eat a whole bunch of them after there were a couple of really NASTY fires.

Genesis:
"Oy" is right.

You do know (did they tell you?) that a MK20UL, being made out of aluminum (body), should not be used for elevated O2 mixtures, right?

To 40% is probably ok, but you don't need to O2 clean it for that. If you're using that reg for deco service, stop doing it right now, because that is grossly unsafe, and the shop should have refused to "O2 clean" it.

Either way you were ripped off. You were sold an unnecessary "cleaning" and even worse, if they told you it was ok to use this on a deco tank, they could have easily gotten you seriously injured or killed. Consider having a reg blow up in your face, literally, when you turn on a slung deco bottle underwater.

Aluminum burns like hell in the presence of high FO2s. Just ask the medical oxygen regulator folks who had to recall and eat a whole bunch of them after there were a couple of really NASTY fires.

Ahh, perhaps I mis-spoke by saying "O2 cleaned"; they installed the standard nitrox kit into the reg for me. I don't do deco or use any mixes over 36% anyway, so it shouldn't be a huge problem, and when I do decide to move up to richer mixes, I'll be looking to a different reg anyway, so I'm not too worried.

But the issue for me is the fact that the bloody thing NEVER comes back without a problem anymore. That in itself is irritating.

Back
Top Bottom