Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan, thanks for coming from Punta Cana to dive with us. Too bad I couldn't go with you guys, it would have been fun. When (if) you come next time, I'll be diving with you for sure.

Yes, I've heard that the "Shark Tank" in Punta Cana is not very good, they have to "replace" the sharks every couple months or so. They are trying to do the same in Bayahibe area, I just hope that it will not happen. It's very cruel to close these beautiful creatures in a small area. There is a really nice place close to Catalinita Island where you can snorkel with reef sharks or dolphins and they are free, not in a cage. That's what I like.

My family and I are trying to plan a Family vacation sometime in September. Right now it looks like we are split between Mexico or Dominican Republic. If we come to DR we will either stay at one of the Iberostar or Dreams resorts.

For better diving, do you guys recommend the La Romana/Bayahibe area or Punta Cana?

Also, I know that Iberostar uses Dressel Divers as their Dive Op, does anybody know who the Dreams resorts use?

If you want to come for diving vacation, Bayahibe is much better. Lots of our clients staying in Punta Cana said they wished they would come here instead (you can read some above post here). Yes, Dressel Divers is still in Iberostar, one of the safest dive ops in Dominican Republic. In Dreams is a dive shop called GriGri divers. We've have many clients that prefer private groups and do not like diving with resort dive shops. We are only a 5 minute beach walk form Dreams, and 5 minute drive from Iberostar.

Hi all,
My husband and I will be headed to Punta Cana in early May. He's already a diver, and I will be completing my PADI Openwater (I have the class and pool work done, just need to complete my 4 open water dives). I know that Punta Cana isn't great diving, but we really planned the trip before we decided to get me certified and dive, so its where we'll be.

Do you have any recomendations for PADI shops in Punta Cana? Our hotel has a Dive It! Diving Centre by GNC. I can't seem to find any information about them (in English at least) and they never responded to e-mail. I know that Dressel has a great reputation - they quickly responded to my e-mails and they're only a 15 minute beach walk from our hotel.

Do folks recommend going with Dressel, is Dive It! More impressive than they seem online, or is there another shop that I should consider?

Thanks for helping out a newb.

It is true that the diving is not as good there, but for the beginner diver it will be nice too. Dressel t is the only dive shop I recommend, they are one of the safest dive operation on the island. I haven't heard about the other dive shop. I think it is very important that you learn scuba diving at a shop that is very safe.
In case you want to take a trip to our part of the island (we had many students coming here to the their dives with us), let me know.

My wife and I just returned from Dreams LaRomona in Bayahibe two days ago. I had booked with Diving DR for my wife and I to finish our advanced O/W, and for two friends to finish their basic O/W. Believe me, this was one of the smartest holiday decisions I have ever made. From arranging the trip via e-mail with Denise to diving with Vladi and the Sharky crew, it was seemless. They are true professionals who care about you and your dive experience more than your money. Something I could not say about the shop I used last year. The fact that they have a max four divers rule makes for a more intimate experience, and for less experienced divers a safer more comfortable one. I myself do not have a huge number of dives in my log book, but I had one on this trip that was the type I have waited for since I read National Geographics as a kid. All we have talked about since getting home is how soon we can get back to Diving DR. Thanks again Vladi & Denise.

Hi all,
My husband and I will be headed to Punta Cana in early May. He's already a diver, and I will be completing my PADI Openwater (I have the class and pool work done, just need to complete my 4 open water dives). I know that Punta Cana isn't great diving, but we really planned the trip before we decided to get me certified and dive, so its where we'll be.

Do you have any recomendations for PADI shops in Punta Cana? Our hotel has a Dive It! Diving Centre by GNC. I can't seem to find any information about them (in English at least) and they never responded to e-mail. I know that Dressel has a great reputation - they quickly responded to my e-mails and they're only a 15 minute beach walk from our hotel.

Do folks recommend going with Dressel, is Dive It! More impressive than they seem online, or is there another shop that I should consider?

Thanks for helping out a newb.

Hello,

I just came back from my first trip to Punta Cana. I dove one day with the dive shop at my hotel (Riu), which was Scuba Caribe. I found them to be fine, and would dive with them again. My last open water dive was approx 18 months ago, so they did make me do a skill test in the pool (at no charge). To me, that was a good sign that there was a safety concern (or could just be concerned about a lawsuit-who knows). In the area where I was in Punta Cana, it seemed like Scuba Caribe and Dressel (located at the Iberostar) were the 2 big operators (based on number of divers, size of the boat, etc.). Not saying that bigger is always better, however. I have also used Dressel in Mexico, and they were fine was well. Have fun whichever way you go. Let me know if I can help further.

Just a quick word on diving the DR.

As an experienced diver I would say that the DR will not compare with the Pacific or Red Sea in terms of reefs or life thereon. But it will certainly allow comfortable, chill-out diving.

Of course there are better sites to be had in the Caribbean, but the relaxation factor may not be as good. Bayahibe certainly offered this in abundance.

A big thumbs up to Denise and Vladi for lovely diving back in January.
And, yes, if I return we must definitely see the St. George from the inside out!

Safe diving from a travelling Irish diver

Seadeuce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom