Why an STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, me neither, I don't see a difference in entanglement potential between STA or STAless, especially considering the line would have to get by the reg first.

Ben

Fred T makes a nice light 2 piece STA that does not stick up too far. I also have 1 of the DR STAs and it is not contoured to the plate at all so it sticks up more. I used he cam straps off of the DR STA with my Fred T STA, so not much loss there.

I love my plate and STA setup. The cool thing about the 2 piece unit is you can move them closer together for a shorter tank (AL 80) or farther apart for a longer tank (Steel 120) making things a bit more stable.

DCDivenut:
So if I understand correctly.. a STA facilitates a quick change from singles to doubles and in some cases may increase the stability (or feel of stability) of the rig.

However, it is not "necessary" unless the wing requires it.
I have a Halcyon BP/wing set up and I do not use a STA. I have never had a problem with my tank being loose and it is as comforable and stable as can be. I am however getting a STA because it is a royal pain in the ***** to thread and re-thread the cam bands through the backplate.

OxyCheq is about to release a new STA of unique design. You heard it here first!

Sadly, I have few details so we'll all just have to wait :)

Seperate subject, WHY doesn't ":)" turn into an emoticon anymore???

Yeah, what she said, it basically smooshes everything together (sorry I didn't respond before, I just saw your post Omni)

Ben

Thanks guys. Someone else also mentioned bolting the wings to the plate - I think I will have to do this, as when just using the tank bands my wing seems to move around a lot.

Omicron:
Thanks guys. Someone else also mentioned bolting the wings to the plate - I think I will have to do this, as when just using the tank bands my wing seems to move around a lot.
If you use tank bands (doubles?) aren't you effectively bolting the wing to the plate? How is your wing moving around?

Snowbear:
If you use tank bands (doubles?) aren't you effectively bolting the wing to the plate? How is your wing moving around?

I meant the Scubapro Tank Cam bands. I'm using a single tank :) Doubles are a few months down the road yet...I'm in the process of getting the last few things I need to do full cave. (true bp/wings, doubles, canister light)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom