Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My point was that it was rather amusing to see the whale boat hosing down the other boat with the water jet.

You posted that it was an automatic water jet.

I'm still trying to figure out why you posted that. It would be like me saying it's going to rain tomorrow and you saying the drops will be evenly spaced.

And when you say it's automatic, it seems you're implying that no one was aiming it and squeezing the trigger.

Oh you must have missed the post right above where I explained it. Silly! :)

No point much like you, in your initial post and then your response to me. Just pointing out an observation.

Huh...no posts since February 28th. Has this thread lost steam?

Huh...no posts since February 28th. Has this thread lost steam?
Were all waiting for the NEXT breaking news.. Im sure itll involve a couple of boats colliding, sea sheperd claiming their innocence (and at the same time success) and some videos posted on youtube :eyebrow:

.....and some videos posted on youtube :eyebrow:

Do the videos have to be of anything specific? If NO then we can get the party started right away :D.

There has been an update from the International Whaling Commission which recently met. Unfortunately, this is a toothless organization without the power to enforce their regulations. An exemption to the original 1986 moratorium on whaling has been for scientific research. The Japanese have seized on this exemption and claim that what they are doing is conducting research. However, what they are doing is shooting whales with harpoon guns, haul them onto their factory ships and cut them up and box them for consumption. No research involved. The Sea Shepherd has courageously brought this issue to the international community through their very popular show "Whale Wars. There has been a recent update from the International Whaling Commission which basically states that they will revisit the issue. Meanwhile, the Sea Shepherd is in the Southern Oceans filming, intercepting and preventing illegal Japanese whalers. Like many of the historical social issues that we, as a species have confronted, commercial whaling like slavery, is cruel, unnecessary and immoral.

SS are clearly into direct action. Why? Because indirect action via toothless organisations, laws and enforcement, are clearly impotent in achieving their stated aims. They are pathetic.

To paraphrase an eternal misquote, it is enough that good men do nothing for evil to prevail.

I say good on SS, breaking laws or not, endangering life or not. They are drawing attention to the issue - which is absolutely key. If no-one knows about it nothing will be done. It's the first step - bringing the matter to people's consciousnesses.

And this and other environmental issues are bigger than our current petty, narrow interest law making, both domestic and international.

Desperate attempts to avoid the devastation of the planet has the moral imperative in my book.

Anyone that thinks humans are not screwing the planet clearly lives on another one. If anyone really wants to fight that argument please let me know, we'll kick off another thread, and we'll see where that goes.

My only hesitation in endorsing SS is whether they're picking the right battles. I don't know enough to say whether they are or aren't but to take the example of the Panda - a huge amount of money is donated in some vain attempt to save them. I can't see them being saved and this resource would likely be better spent elsewhere, on potentially winnable battles. No matter how cute and cuddly they are, Pandas are not going to make it and they don't play a significant part in the overall ecosystem. Will be sad to lose them, of course, but there are more important battles to be fought and won. And with Whales - if the whaling is being done in a sustainable manner, and is being managed in such a way that it is not impacting their long term survival then there are more pressing needs.

I wish there were other organisations like SS that would take similar measures against shark finning and get the same publicity.

J

Last edited:
I think the everyone's attention is one something else now.

Sandra Bullock's Divorce.

If they have Apollo 11 Astronaut Buzz Aldrin on "Dancing with the Stars"...maybe Paul Watson should consider appearing on it.

Back
Top Bottom