need help planning a super cheap keys trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

where we get nailed is on the airlines baggage fee's, I've gotta get more creative with my luggage / packing / plan..

if you can, use Southwest. Two checked bags each under 50lbs = $0.

where we get nailed is on the airlines baggage fee's, I've gotta get more creative with my luggage / packing / plan..
Look into shipping it. I live near FLL and there is a UPS store near me, an astounding number of divers use the store to ship luggage each way. There is probably one near every airport. I used to date a Fedex pilot and he said that lots of people ship luggage. Bonus: there is a better chance that it will actually arrive for your vacation, rather than counting on your airline.

Great Idea Debby. I use to ship via Greyhound bus, saved a bundle.

Have not done it lately. Although it is worth looking into.

One has to look around for the best shipping cost.:wink:

Joe

Hi, we are going to be in Key Largo next weekend. I did some checking on shipping our dive gear down there. Found out we can ship both dive bags with fedex ground for about the same price the airlines charges. Guaranteed delivery and they will deliver it to your house on the way back. That's what we are going to do.

Steve

And no dragging it through the airport!
icon14.gif

I need some help. I'm looking for information to put together a super low budget trip to the Keys. I just found out that I can take off from work April 20th-27th. I have not really saved for this trip, but I have cabin fever and I need to dive!

Thinking of flying to Fort Lauderdale (or Miami), renting a car, and driving to Key Largo. I need a ridiculously cheap place to stay for two (not a couple). We can dive Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I'm an instructor, and the other diver is a OW certified teenager. We just want to do some basic interesting boat dives, maybe a wreck. Any suggestions would be very helpful. We are looking for absolute budget (but still safe and reliable).

Thanks!

I agree with the others, flying to FLL is the best way to get close to the Keys. One other suggestion about the FLL airport which isn't obvious if you've never been there.

Don't be like the countless "tourists" I see there dragging all of your bags and kiddies onto the bus that takes you to the car rental counters. Leave your significant other at baggage claim with the bags, you take the bus to retrieve the rental car then pick up your buddy and the bags. It never ceases to amaze me how many funny looks I get when I get on the bus without any luggage in tow!

Have a blast!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom