Cold water gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well that hasn't been my experience on land or underwater. As I stated I'm able to use 3mm wet gloves when I dive dry and be very comfortable. Diving wet suit, 7mm mitts didn't do the job as well. So how would you explain that? I agree you can't dive bare handed and be comfortable in cold water regardless of wet or dry suit, however most people can't dive a 3mm wet suit with dry gloves and keep your hands warm in 35DF water (example only). I'm glad what you do works for you. I know by experience that it does not work for me.

Many people have different tolerances for cold. One of my regular dive partners uses a wetsuit in 39* water where I use a drysuit and a lot of undergarment. He is perfectly comfortable at the end of our second hour long dive in that. I wasn't nearly as comfortable as he was in a heavier wetsuit in warmer waters. I imagine you'd agree that the 3mm gloves you are comfortable with in extremely cold water would not offer the same thermal HAND protection if they allowed a constant flow of icy water into the glove.

I think, perhaps you are misreading what I've been saying. I would never suggest or imply that with warm gloves one should not use proper insulation at the core. What I have been saying is that before the core reaches a point of reducing flow to the extemities to protect itself, while it is still warm, it continues to send heat out to the head, legs, arms, feet, hands, etc to help keep them warm. If the extremities are not properly insulated they will draw more heat than most people would imagine from the core to attempt to keep them warm, if they draw too much the body reduces flow to them to protect the core. Properly insulating the extemities and core will keep one warmer longer than will only properly insulating one portion of the body.

I was unable to find the links, there were some recent studies, also talked about on many boards, that found this to be the case.

Many people have different tolerances for cold. One of my regular dive partners uses a wetsuit in 39* water where I use a drysuit and a lot of undergarment. He is perfectly comfortable at the end of our second hour long dive in that. I wasn't nearly as comfortable as he was in a heavier wetsuit in warmer waters. I imagine you'd agree that the 3mm gloves you are comfortable with in extremely cold water would not offer the same thermal HAND protection if they allowed a constant flow of icy water into the glove.

I think, perhaps you are misreading what I've been saying. I would never suggest or imply that with warm gloves one should not use proper insulation at the core. What I have been saying is that before the core reaches a point of reducing flow to the extemities to protect itself, while it is still warm, it continues to send heat out to the head, legs, arms, feet, hands, etc to help keep them warm. If the extremities are not properly insulated they will draw more heat than most people would imagine from the core to attempt to keep them warm, if they draw too much the body reduces flow to them to protect the core. Properly insulating the extemities and core will keep one warmer longer than will only properly insulating one portion of the body.

I was unable to find the links, there were some recent studies, also talked about on many boards, that found this to be the case.

Your right I was misunderstanding. We're saying the same thing in a different way. I get it. Thanks.

I am intrigued by the thought of those dry 5. Seems like a good option for some people.

If you have to dive cold water in wet suits and wet gloves the the 7mm 3 finger mitts are by far warmer than any of the 5 finger gloves around.

3 finger mitts vs five finger gloves...this has also been my experience

Well after looking for the dry 5 gloves unsuccessfully I went to an old trusted friends LDS where he recommended Hyperflex AMP 5MM 5 fingers gloves. I used them yesterday, surface temp 45F bottom temp 40-39F. I don't know if the dry 5's are better but these worked great! They go on super easy and fit/feel really good. The dexterity is something I've never experienced with thick cold water gloves! I almost forgot I had them on! I put my fins on in the water bare handed so I started off with cold wet hands, the gloves were a little hard to get on with wet hands but I managed ok. My hands warmed up right away and stayed comfortable for the duration of the dive. Total time in the water about 45-50 minutes bottom time 26 minutes. I used my wet suit.

...draw-back to the dry 5...
they are a mutha to get on and off!!
i ended up buying 2 xl!!!!!
glad the hyperflex worked out so well!!!!!!
have fun
Yaeg

went to the whites mitt (which has a tighter wrist seal)...worked great! mitts are definitely warmer. thanks for all the advice.

went to the whites mitt (which has a tighter wrist seal)...worked great! mitts are definitely warmer. thanks for all the advice.

Mitts are hard to 'do' things with your hand as you just have a thumb and one large finger of sorts. I dive cold waters and I hate dry gloves of which my BARE neo. dry suit is even equipped with dry glove rings!

Solution: I use a set of 5 finger 7mil Henderson gloves, the 'secret' is the surgical blue disposable gloves I wear under the 7mil neo. gloves. I normally would wear a size M in those medical gloves as you see doctors/nurses/police/EMT's wearing....BUT I wear a size smaller- S! This allows just enough water to seep into the small medical glove, this water warms up, and BAM an inexpensive set of dry gloves and just as good!!!

Dump those mitts and give this a try...it works! :)

Back
Top Bottom