Fish ID - Scamp Vs. Yellowmouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OysterBoot74

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm guessing that this is the correct place to post this question. So, here goes - how does one both tell the difference, and illustrate to another, the differences between a Scamp and a Yellowmouth grouper? I have bought fish ID books and studied some online, however, I have not yet satisfied myself that I could successfully distinguish and defend the ID of a 2lb Yellowmouth Grouper in Scamp territory. Anyone willing to enlighten me?

I wish I could...I am trying to figure out why the Aussies are calling grouper "Potato Cod". In reality it is not a member of the cod family of fish.

Oyster, I find everyone in the north gulf calling any grouper with a yellow mouth a "Scamp", and every in the south east florida calling every yellow grouper a yellow mouth.

I have lots of pictures of them in the northern gulf.. and they all seem to be Yellow mouths.. but everyone calls them Scamp...so you are not the only one confused.

Here is an example (in very bad vis):

grouper1400.JPG

And here is how they should look:

Yellowmouth Grouper

Scamp

Another one:

grouper1402.JPG

and one more fish (all from the northern gulf coast:

grouper1200.JPG

All would appear to be yellow mouths, and yet all were ID'd as Scamp... The last one shows the tail clearly, and it is not the tail of a Scamp... so not sure.

Lots of fish are confused this way--especially ones in commercial play. Nice pics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom