where can a person scuba dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cokeman

Reaction score
My question is where can you dive once you learn how...
My wife and I are going to learn to dive at a local dive shop near the house, not close 15-20 miles away... Then for graduation we will goto Cozumel, Mexico (I want to swim with the dolphins, any info or help on the subject???)... Any way we live 4 miles from Lake Michigan we have no boat can you just dive off the public beach area's or does one need permission to do so... We have some cool forest preserve lakes that don't alow swimming would those be out of the guestion??? Also I learned about pearlake.com a lake about 90 min. away from the house, sounds cool but hoping something closer would LOVE to be able to go out and dive every weekend... Any info or suggections greatly appreciated....

Thnks
:help:

I initially learned to dive a little up the road in Wisconsin. Local diving was shore diving at a few area lakes. Ask around for lakes with better visibility. Lake Wazee, a few quarrys, and trips to Lake Michigan.

After a little experience, head to Lake Michigan for wreck diving. For Lake Michigan trips, I'd recommend hooking up with a boat, either private or with a dive shop.

Best bet is to ask around at several area shops. A local area dive club may offer a great way to meet more dive buddies.

Generally, you can set out your dive flag anywhere swimming is not prohibitted. :blah: The primary exception is you may not dive in such a location to block navigable waterways, so stay out of heavy boat traffic lanes.

Originally posted by Walter
Talk to local divers, check into local dive clubs and ask your instructor.

DSSW,

WWW™
When I first started in to SCUBA that is waht I did and it worked. Ingeneral there is the fact that every shop offers a monthly trip somewhere for a fee, most of the shops here go to SAN Carlos Mexico and dive with Sea lions.

Then you must ask yourself just what is required for a site to be divable? of course you could ask that here also. location location location as the saying goes.

Pearl Lake is a nice place to get wet, but I have another recommendation, Haigh Quarry in Kankakee. I know this is not closer for you but it is a great training dive. It has a wide range of depths from 10 to 95 feet. The greatest feature of Haigh is the walls. Being a quarry there are some nice wall areas to practice navigation. Some go to about 50-60 feet. The grounds are well maintained with plenty of set ip space and picnic tables. There are two deep water entry docks that are covered along with a gradual entry "beach." The docks have ample space to gear up and on exit ypu can go right the grass area. As opposed to Pearl where dirt is everywhere. Let me know if you have any questions.

I dive anywhere there's water, and it doesn't even have to be clear. Stocktanks, mud holes, lakes, ocean the bathtub. Hey even if the grass is a little too wet I put the gear on.

Whatever and whever it's wet.

ID

Hi Cokeman,
Although I have yet to take advantage of them, since my dive buddy needs to be recertified this spring, I have stopped in at several dive shops in Northeast IL and Southeast WI and there are many opportunities to hook up with the LDS on boats out of Waukegan Harbor, or Kenosha Harbor. You don't mention where you are exactly, so I don't know how far Waukegan is for you, but there are lots of LDS north of Chicago.

In addition, some of the shops may have their own boat. I know the Northpoint Scuba Center in Winthrop Harbor has their own boat. Other shops just use charters.

My dive buddy and I will be taking adavantage of Lake Michigan this spring. Good luck!
Dmentia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom