I need Help w Bauer VM-E3 compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fyr-Guy: Look's like three of us are all in middle of switching to single phase. My compressor arrived this morning It is a Mariner 1 as Craig suggested. I bought it "sight unseen, as is, where is" from a liquidation shop in Ohio and had her shipped to me. It didn't come with any records and like you I have no idea what they were compressing - the crank case appears to be full of nice clean oil that has all of the characteristics of vegetable oil.

I was getting ready to order a motor for her when Kdupreez started his thread so I have placed that project on hold pending the outcome of his single phase conversion, he's off in Hawaii for the moment and will update his thread when he gets back. The question that I have is if you use a 5 HP motor with the same RPM and the same drive pulley as the three phase unit wouldn't the compressor output remain the same?

I like your idea of using both gasoline and electric to make your unit mobile... at the moment all of the diving we do down your way is local to Rich Courtney's shop and for what he charges for 50/50 I pay for 28% nitrox up here...we always give him a heads up before we come so they can load us up all day and night...LOl

Don't worry about hijacking this thread diving is supposed to be educational and fun, I love learning and sharing diving experiences...have fun with it...By the way do you have any idea short of calling Bauer where to get a operating manual for the Mariner 1? I have the Bauer 2002 Factory service CD I just can't seem to find my block model in the files- it has the Mariner II and the other models- I just don't know what they call a Mainer I...like a IK100 or IK 1.2 14 etc. any ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Hi Doug,
When the engineers designed your compressor block they figured out that to provide 8.2 cfm at 4500 psi would require 7 1/2 hp . If you put a 5 hp motor on without changing the drive pulley size it will still turn the pump but as the presure built it would soon overload the electrical system and someting has to give. It just does'nt have the torque. Think about when you ride your mountain bike and you come to a steep hill. The load increases as you begin climbing the hill and in order for your legs to continue at the same rpm you have to gear down to prevent stalling.

Like Craig alluded to in his earlier post there are many considerations in building a safe and efficent system. Try looking at http://www.scubaengineer.com/bauer_compressor_servicing_inforx.htmon
and look under mini verticus old.

Look at the way the factory designed there compressor systems. Study the spec sheets and when you are putting together your system try to keep in mind the original configuration. Don't go cheap on things like fittings ,hoses, etc. High pressure air can be extremelly dangerous as I,m sure you are well aware. Enjoy building your project but do your research and ask questions if unsure. Talk to an electrician when designing motor controls or educate yourself on things like proper wire sizes, overload protection, power supply, etc. Be safe.

FYR-GUY- Craig recommended contacting Bauer directly too, as I am about an hour away from their facility which I did. Mark and Bob (Bauer)jumped right in supplied the operating manual for the Mariner E and are providing single phase conversion instructions for me, as you both suggested they are very informative and helpful.

Mark quickly pointed out the disadvantages of converting to the 5HP motor and as you stated: the torque required to drive the compressor at the proper speeds quickly reaches the service rating of the motor. However the single phase 7.5 HP 3450rpm will meet the requirement but just isn't as efficient as three phase motors in general- hence the higher amperage draw...

Thanks' for the head up and advice- as I said this is my first compressor and any advice is welcome...

Typically, closed circuit machines like that are, in fact, designed to pump volatile (Nat Gas) or precious gases....so as to prevent any potential leaks to atmosphere. Beware that Natural Gas contains an odorant that might have infested the pores of some of the tubing and filter housings. Otherwise, I'd let the piping configuration be. Cant think of any way it would harm anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom