max depth with an 80 cuft. tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dktexas54

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is an 80 cuft tank enough air to safely go beyond 80'? My answer is yes but not safely. Please share your opinion.

Is an 80 cuft tank enough air to safely go beyond 80'? My answer is yes but not safely. Please share your opinion.

What's your consumption? How about your buddy's? Normal & stressed?

Diving air/nitrox, with a known buddy, and warm I could do 15mins at 100ft, leave 100ft with 2000psi and multilevel my way into the 50-60ft range fairly easily. To me, that wouldn't be a very aggressive profile NDL or gas volume-wise.

Someone else could smoke through 2600psi for the same profile and that would be very aggressive, most would say unsafe.

Do a search for rock bottom and you will find lots and lots of opinions. I'd say it depends on the regions and the conditions. But to each their own.

You can go quite deep on an AL80 assuming ...

- you have a reasonably good air consumption rate
- you aren't planning to share any of it with your dive buddy if he or she needs it
- nothing goes wrong

If you are of a mindset to maintain a reasonable reserve for any emergencies ... yours or your buddy's ... then a prudent thing to do would be to keep your depth to a level where you would have sufficient reserves to deal with them.

If you truly want to go deeper, a larger cylinder is a better idea.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

"What's your consumption? How about your buddy's? Normal & stressed?"

rjack321,
Excellent point. What happens at 100' if all goes to ****e in a hand basket. can you and your buddy safely make it back to the surface? That's the question. my rule of thumb I will go to 130 with pony and partner who is as experienced as myself. If diving with someone unknown like on a resort trip, I stay 80' or higher. I carry a small pony on all dives below 40'. Just my routine. I hope to create some discussion hear that will help new divers to think about diving deep with 80's.

You can go quite deep on an AL80 assuming ...

- you have a reasonably good air consumption rate
- you aren't planning to share any of it with your dive buddy if he or she needs it
- nothing goes wrong

If you are of a mindset to maintain a reasonable reserve for any emergencies ... yours or your buddy's ... then a prudent thing to do would be to keep your depth to a level where you would have sufficient reserves to deal with them.

If you truly want to go deeper, a larger cylinder is a better idea.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Brett Gilliam went to 470+ and back on an 80....:no:

Brett Gilliam went to 470+ and back on an 80....:no:

He ...

- had a better than average air consumption rate
- didn't plan to share air with a dive buddy
- and nothing went wrong

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I did the Spiegel Grove with an AL80 for 13min - max depth 114', multileveled it up, did a safety for 3min, and was back on the surface with about 1000psi.

I know lots of people who have gone deeper than 100 feet on AL80's.

Most of them made it back ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I know lots of people who have gone deeper than 100 feet on AL80's.

Most of them made it back ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: I even know certain people who have done it more than once!!! :popcorn::popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom