Need help with drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaworm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking to buy my first new drysuit and I know fit is eveything. What are the top good drysuit names out there and which ones should I stay away from. I'm my be looking for a DUI but it's alot of $$$$ is it really worth it? Front zip is what I'm looking for but does it really matter? Help any info you got would help me thanks

DUI suits generally fit very well but they're made from a light material that's not as abuse-proof as some of the other suits. For the price of them I wonder if they're the right entry-level suit for most people.

As far as brands go, BARE and Whites have good reputations. DUI has a good reputation on the internet. I don't know of any suits that people say you should avoid. Go for crushed or compressed neoprene or trilaminate. 7mm neoprene drysuits are cheap but you need a butt load of weight to make them sink and the buoyancy swings are too large. Bilaminate suits like the BARE nexgen are ok and cheap but buy a bicycle repair kit on the same day you buy your suit and throw it in with your gear... :)

Be cautious if you buy a 2nd hand suit. Often times people will try to sell their old drysuits when the zipper is at the end of it's life. Replacing a zipper is an expensive thing to do so getting a 2nd hand suit "cheap" might actually turn out to be fairly expensive. If you go the 2nd hand route then get help from someone who knows drysuits.

R..

DUI suits generally fit very well but they're made from a light material that's not as abuse-proof as some of the other suits. For the price of them I wonder if they're the right entry-level suit for most people.

Given that DUI makes suits in a wide range of materials - not just a single "light material" - that's more than a bit of a generalization that doesn't make sense.

To OP - I've got a DUI TLS-350 Trilaminate suit that has held up to nearly 400 dives over the last 3-4 years, most of which were wreck penetration dives. No problems with durability. Though I haven't specifically "abused" the suit - which I don't recommend. (ie: if you buoyancy is for sh*t and you'll be in/on wrecks, my experience may not be relevant.)

I also have a DUI 30/30 "tropical" drysuit which has also held up well, even to 50+ wreck penetration dives in Truk Lagoon last year.

Ray

I echo that the DUI generalization isn't really true- also have a TLS 350 with about 150 dives including wreck pen and cave and gong strong.

Given that DUI makes suits in a wide range of materials - not just a single "light material" - that's more than a bit of a generalization that doesn't make sense.

Ok, let me restate that. Clearly not all trilam is created equal.

I don't have an opinion about any of the other materials they use because all of the people I know who have bought DUI suits have light trilam ones.... and in every case they chose them for the fit not for the durability.

I'm just saying.

I do have my doubts about their trilam becuase of the following experience: One of my friends' TSL-whatever suit that he had custom made to the tune of over 4 grand, literally split open under water when when were ice diving in the Czech republic a few years ago. We got him out before he was hypothermic but wow. We concluded that the crack probably developed before the dive because the suit was wet from teh previous dive and the air temps were around -15C. In fact, the leak was so big that the inside of the drysuit was well frozen to his jump suit by the time we got him back to where he parked his truck and he had a lot of trouble getting out of it.

Sure it looks good and it fits great but this is a bit like having a fancy car with nice leather bucket seats that backfires. I just don't think that's what people want when they spend 4k on a exposure suit and it certainly doesn't inspire confidence, at least not in me.

On the other hand, People who have the Whites or BARE trilam suits hardly ever joke about them leaking. I have about 1500 dives in BARE suits including a lot of wreck diving, climbing over muscle and oyster encrusted dikes, bushwhacking my way to the entry point and even some worming my way through coral tunnels under reefs and a couple of rough tumbles over the years and I've only had exactly 1 leak through all of that that wasn't due to worn out seals.

But seaworm, don't take it from me. Maybe the experience I related above has jaded me. Read this post from someone who really can make a fair comparison.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4441529-post25.html

R..

My advice is if the stock sizes don't fit well go the extra mile and get one custom made so it fits right.

Worth the extra ducats imho.

I dive a Bare hyper compressed neoprene. I like it for the extra warmth. I also have a neoprene neck seal for the warmth.

Works for me.

seaworm, For what it's worth, I presently own ( and dive ) two Viking pros. I have never gotten moist, damp, or wet. They have seen extreme service, under severe conditions and never have failed or skipped a beat. Trelleborg, the parent company, has been in the drysuit business a very long time.

Mine have attached latex hoods, latex wrist seals, and I also use the viking ring system for my gloves, which I personally like. They also have a rear entry zipper, as I personally feel is a better angle for the zipper.

When you asked for the top drysuit names out there, I consider Viking to be one of them.

For me it was between DUI and Bare. TLS350 - Tri-lam HD Tech Dry. in the end the Bare Tri-Lam HD Tech Dry won. It has everything the DUI suit offered then a little more. and was around 800 less. I have owned my suit a Little over year and could not be happier. It's a great fitting and feeling suit. It also has a tougher looking exterior then the TLS.

So my Vote is the -- BARE Tri-Lam HD Tech DRY

Take this for what it's worth; I am below a newbie when it comes to drysuit experience. I purchased my first drysuit this year (Whites Fusion Bullet) based on good reviews, and did my first dry dive in it. It fit great, was easy to get into, and pretty darn warm using the MK2 undergarment (42F fresh water). I have read many descriptions of getting used to diving dry, the first few dives are different so don't give up on it too early, etc. I found this suit to be not much different than diving my 5mm wetsuit as far as fit/feel, comfort, flexibility, etc. I bought from the "generic" sizes. I'm not pushing the Whites as I have zero experience to compare it with. I am happy so far and thought I would share my experience to date. I tried on a DUI crushed neoprene (CF200 maybe) once, but it was just heavy and stifling to me and it was the same size as my Whites. I didn't get a chance to get it in the water since I was so uncomfortable. There are a lot of good sources of info here on SB to work through. Good Luck in your search! :)

Back
Top Bottom