ssi or padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ask more about specialties in general loads more fun.

Advanced with Padi and SSI Advanced adventure is purely an introduction to other specialties, both will give you a taste of different areas neither will really make you an advanced diver.

As others have said more important is the instructor that will be teaching you and of course the facilities he/she has access to.

Purely from a convenience aspect you get your card straight away with SSI on Koh Tao.
Both Ratings are accepted globaly so no worries there, both agencies have books dvds etc if you want to buy them.

Have fun

Really there is no difference apart from what has been said already - they are both internationally recognised.

However buying a 2nd hand PADI book will not ensure that you get a PADI course cheaper - PADI materials are sold with the certification card which we need to certify you. If we have to buy it seperately 1) we have to justify why and 2 ) bizarrely its not much cheaper than buying it with the book - hence you would not get any kind of real saving.

i mentioned the book thing because when i was there a few years ago quite a few places would do courses anywhere from 1600 to 2000 baht cheaper if i had my own books... assumed it would still be the same now.

Find the Instructor you are most comfortable with. This will make a huge difference and you will be more likely to continue your education if you develop a relationship with the instructor.

I would go with the shop which you think offers the better, longer training. That is much more important.
If they seem equal I would go with the cheaper one.

You're going about this the wrong way. Price shouldn't be your major concern. you should be looking at a bigger picture.

do you always buy the cheapest beer/ cheese/car/ clothes/dog?

You get what you pay for

In general I would agree but it is certainly not always the case.

A fine bottle of Pinot Noir...

What an excelent choice. We agree yet again, this is getting to be a habbit.

Next you will tell me you like taylors port with your cheese?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom