flights to Truk/Chuuk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, all you folks who have done the Truk Odyssey.... the flight schedule on Continental is a bit discouraging to me. It looks like there would need to be days spent land-based before and after the trip, as well as a night in Guam. Yes? Or am I searching the wrong dates? What days are best to arrive there, and what days are best to depart? I wouldn't mind staying a couple of days in Guam and diving there or a couple of days in Yap, but I really don't like having to spend 2-3 nights land-based in Truk before or after the liveaboard.
(we haven't booked on the Odyssey yet, just looking at the options!)

robin:D

Continental Micronesia flies out of TKK at 230am to GUM on Sunday nights (Monday morning actually) on FLT 959. Most folks get a day room at the Blue Lagoon before heading to the airport after disembarking the Odyssey. Once you're in GUM, your options open up considerably.

Odyssey will tell you (or should tell you) what your options are both prior to and post liveaboard.

Doing a few days land-based at Blue Lagoon is actually a nice add-on to the post-liveaboard experience IMO.

thanks brian! Can you tell me about the diving you did from land-based? How was it different from the liveaboard?

I know the liveaboard runs from Sunday to Sunday, so what day would you think is best to fly in on? I found most days there are 5 stops from LAX! (stops at every island between Guam and Truk) The only day I think I found was Wed, but that overnighted in Guam and then went straight to Truk arriving on Fri morning. That would mean Fri night, Sat night land-based. Sound like the best plan?

I am almost thinking it would be better to do a few days diving in Guam, then go on the Truk and do 4-5 days diving there land-based, otherwise it is going to end up being a full 2-week trip!!

thanks brian! Can you tell me about the diving you did from land-based? How was it different from the liveaboard?

I know the liveaboard runs from Sunday to Sunday, so what day would you think is best to fly in on? I found most days there are 5 stops from LAX! (stops at every island between Guam and Truk) The only day I think I found was Wed, but that overnighted in Guam and then went straight to Truk arriving on Fri morning. That would mean Fri night, Sat night land-based. Sound like the best plan?

I am almost thinking it would be better to do a few days diving in Guam, then go on the Truk and do 4-5 days diving there land-based, otherwise it is going to end up being a full 2-week trip!!

The "Island Hopper" (FLT 957) flies from HNL through Micronesia and ends up in GUM on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and arrives the following day because it crosses the date line. Getting there, I took the Island Hopper "because I wanted to".....
I took the Friday Hopper flight, arriving TKK on Saturday about 3pm, spent the night at Blue Lagoon, dove Sunday with Blue Lagoon and boarded the liveaboard Sunday afternoon. The other option is to fly to GUM via either IAH, HNL, or LAX on Thursday (arriving Friday) and overnight in GUM. On Saturday out of GUM to TKK, you're flying the first leg of the return Island Hopper that flies on Saturday, Tuesday, and Thursday. There are no flights in to or out of TKK on Sundays.

Just remember the Hopper flies on alternate days except Sunday and the date line changes the arrival date going there and that all flights originate or end in GUM/HNL. I'm not sure but I think they just change the crew in GUM and turn the plane around and head back to HNL :)

Diving GUM: dive with Micronesian Divers Association. There's a pair of WW2 Japanese Maru ships in the harbor and one of them is an arms length away from a WW1 German ship (the SMS Cormoran). Great reef diving as well outside the harbor.

thanks!

so how would you rate the diving from land-based vs liveaboard?
my husband and I would be going but also maybe a friend who is a tech diver (he is trying to recruit my hubby into it, too)

MDA Guam - yeah, I would use them, love their website, so much good info. I was thinking 2 days of diving there would be cool on one end of the trip or other.

We did Palau from a liveaboard and loved it, but it isn't cheap. So we are trying to decide if we go back to Micronesia, what would be the best way to get the most variety of diving... would love to do WWII wrecks and from the pics it seems like they are basically reefs now, covered in growth, so not like diving big tin cans (like wrecks in Fla Keys, for example). We are also planning to hit NC this summer for wrecks and sharks. :D

Lots to consider........ :wink:

robin

Book soon. I just took the last couple of spots on the boat for a week in January 2011. Had I missed those, I would have needed to wait until March (and there was only one week left in March with open spots...).

thanks!

my husband and I would be going but also maybe a friend who is a tech diver (he is trying to recruit my hubby into it, too)

MDA Guam - yeah, I would use them, love their website, so much good info. I was thinking 2 days of diving there would be cool on one end of the trip or other.

We did Palau from a liveaboard and loved it, but it isn't cheap. So we are trying to decide if we go back to Micronesia, what would be the best way to get the most variety of diving... would love to do WWII wrecks and from the pics it seems like they are basically reefs now, covered in growth, so not like diving big tin cans (like wrecks in Fla Keys, for example). We are also planning to hit NC this summer for wrecks and sharks. :D

robin

Land based and liveaboards dive the exact same dive sites. Truk Stop Hotel has complete support for Tech diving.

All the diving in Chuuk (Truk Lagoon) is on WWII wrecks. Yes many are covered with some of the most beautiful corals you've ever seen. The wrecks however are totally identifyable as wrecks. Some have certainly deteriorated but but even then you can see the hulls, hatches, and thousands of artifacts. They are not rubble piles. Many details such as bombs, airplanes, tanks, trucks and even tableware are still there and easily viewable without the need for any type of tech diving. Many wrecks can easily be penetrated. They easily beat any wreck in Roatan, Utila and Florida.

I was not a wreck enthusiast when I was there but these wrecks are very special. They are essential a giant graveyard. They range in size from 100 to more than 300 feet. They are so large you can't see the entire ship on a single dive. Most good sites are between 60 and 120 feet with some going well beyond that for tech divers. Only about 1 in 20 divers however is a tech diver.

What an awesome trip to be taking!!! Dive Training Magazine had a pretty cool article on Chuuk in their April issue. Had to show the article too my wife who's a history teacher and it definitely peaked her interest. I hope to make this trip in the next 3 or 4 years. But, again what an awesome trip to take hope you have a great time!!!

thanks!

robin

Blue Lagoon was willing to let us dive the stuff that was clearly outside the recreational limits (I'm certified for that as well though). Unless you're on a liveaboard tech week, they'll limit you to 140' or so. Here's the report I wrote after the trip, there's lot's of information on the wrecks and what you'll see on the wrecks: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pacific-islands/28819-truk-report.html
(sorry but the pics that were included were lost in one of the SB server crashes)

Regarding the growth on the wrecks, here in FL, we usually dive bomb the wreck, descending 100'/minute. On my first dive in Truk (the Shinkoku), I dropped in and I thought we'd missed the wreck and were on a reef until we cleared the wheelhouse and I could actually see the outline of the wreck and honestly, it changed my outlook on wrecks completely.

Last edited:
Back from Chuuk and it was awesome!!! Diving off the Odyssey is the way to go. The staff and boat are first rate. 18 dives, 20.25 hrs., and I still gained 5 lbs... LOL

Back
Top Bottom