Live View or Viewfinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeKeating

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I am looking at housing a camera and I have both D90 and D40x bodies. There are many different functions that separate them, but one of the main differences is live view (I have a P&S that I am currently using and use the live view).

I am curious if people use the live view on their D90 or the view finder? The live view would obviously make it a bit easier, but I am wanting to keep the D90 for land use while on vacation and just keep the D40x in the housing.

It may not be possible, but I am just wondering what everyone uses.

Mike

We have a Canon point and shoot in a Canon housing and for that I use live view. Course I use live view above water for that one too :).

We also have a Canon 40D with an Ikelite housing and for that I use the viewfinder.

About the only time I'd use live view would be for a non-moving macro subject that you can't get low enough to look up at through the viewfinder. Topside I use live view for holding the camera over chain link fences and putting it on the floor to take upward views of sleeping dogs, etc. Viewfinder works great for normal UW. If you spend the big bucks for a 45 degree viewfinder, you can even get underneath while maintaining good trim.

As already stated, the viewfinder really is ideal for shooting. If you are going to house the D40x, take a good look at the Sea & Sea RDX-D60 (also fits D40x). Being that the housing is $1399, spending another $900 for the Nauticam or Inon VF is likely overkill, but still a nice accessory!

What lens do you have for use UW?

I am looking to get the housing and the lens at the same time. I am looking at the Tonika 11-16 f/2.8. I have heard good things about the lens and I have seen the photos that people have taken with the lens on this forum.

I use the view finder for all Still photos as it alot quicker to focus. If you use live view you might get maybe one or two shots compared to several through the view finder.

I only use the liveview as you have to use it if you want to take video on the D90. Also liveview will suck a battery dry alot quicker (two dives) compared to maybe several dives without using the liveview. Also if you leave the live view on long enough it can heat he sensor up and the camera turns itself off to cool down. So if your going to use liveview for video just turn it off when not shooting.

I suggest that you have a good look at the Tokina 10-17mm lens as its my favourite. You see it in action on my D90 on my flickr link below.

Regards Mark

Byron,

Those are some nice photos for sure. I will take a look at that lens. I am still thinking with going for the 40x for the housing.

Thanks,

Mike

Byron,

Those are some nice photos for sure. I will take a look at that lens. I am still thinking with going for the 40x for the housing.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike I would be recommending you put your D90 into a housing before the D40x. Sure the D40x can take great pics but the Nikon D90 has alot more features and be more worth while in puting in a housing.

If you can find a cheap housing for the D40x fair enough but its more cost effective to house the D90 if your going to get a brand new housing in the long run.

i like the D90 for many reasons as it has a bigger LCD. Info button. HD video when stills dont give the scene justice, just to name a few.

Regards mark

How many strobes do you have and which ones do you use?

How does that work when the video is going, the strobes would not be firing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom