How I started and why I continue to cave dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can not deny the strong allure. I keep telling myself it will just be a recreational dive trip to check out pretty decorated caverns. But--after all the years of technical rock climbing on some pretty dramatic stone, I know different. Two choices: either stay away or get hooked. I still have that power. Decisions, decisions.

Based on your stories here and your SB challenge I'd say you're a lost cause and may as well give in and try...

Anyway four months later after numerous trips interstate to dive in the caverns and sinkholes I am starting my Cave course tonight

Best wishes! It is a real challenge, but I am sure you will do just fine.

Best wishes! It is a real challenge, but I am sure you will do just fine.

Thanks! :) Hope so, either way it will be fun :)

Greetings my first introduction to cavern / cave was in the Mexican cenotes and at first I was not really impressed. This was dive #16 or #17 and I was not at all prepared for the dives. I actually bagged the second dive because I just did not want to go. I could not believe it myself!
My instructor and fellow dmc buddy went to Florida for cave dive training. When they got back it was unbearable the stories and training they had received just kept haunting me. I was a aspiring wreck diver trying to train properly to dive and penetrate wrecks and reel training is very important. I rationalized that when it come to overhead environment training cave training was the best. So thus it began my training path began to wind up in FL this past Jan. for cavern and Intro to cave. The training was superb and tough at times but so addictive.
My first dive into Orange Groove was a killer experience that humbled me as a diver and I was lost with the wonder of the cave environment. I learned that flow changes the rules of buoyancy and running a line takes practice! Over all I was still taken back by my lack of any fear but lost in wonder of the environment. I dreamed every night of diving into the darkness following the main line and felt comfort at peace.
This is the crazy part of the entire time, I loved the lights out drills and felt warm and fuzzy about them. The things that I figured would bother me were not even issues at all. I was more concerned about irritating my instructor than anything else.
And I have to admit that I did that a few times as well, but I owe more than a few drinks to long suffering.
I had the opportunity to dive Peacock before it blew out last winter and then finish at Ginny for Intro. I might have come back to IN but I left part of me in FL! I have dove every month since returning and some of the dives were great but I can not shake the cave bug. I am already considering the move to further south to gain quicker access. Two trips planned one in May and one in Sept. with a possible Nov. trip for my birthday. What can I say my wife thinks I have gone mad! All usual hunting vacation is scheduled for cave diving trips. I am a fledgling yet desire to see what lyes at the end of the main line. Apprentice this Jan. and we will see about Full when I feel that I am ready. I am in no hurry as I desire to train and do it right.
OW is really nice and I will continue to dive it but when I dream I am heading down the mainline with the warm blanked of darkness surrounding my light beam.
See you in FL and hopefully soon!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

My wife made me do it! Really!!

My wife saw Wes Skiles famous Diepolder photo in NG several years ago and decided she wanted to go see that personally. We weren't even OW trained/certified then. The year we got married, we found a 2 for 1 coupon in the Entertainment book and jumped on it. (Little did we know that wasn't really the way to do it, but being in Tucson, AZ, there wasn't much choice anyway...at least not locally.) Within a year we were heading to Florida to dive and got blown out so we headed to the springs. Six months later we were back for a Cavern course. Just over a year later and 2 more trips we completed our Cave course. We still haven't made it to Diepolder yet, but that's a dive that we'll be doing sometime soon.

Based on your stories here and your SB challenge I'd say you're a lost cause and may as well give in and try...

Yeah, I hear you. The power of choice is probably an illusion at this point anyway :).

This is one of my favorite threads yet!!!! I really insipire to take my training down this path. I really appreciate all the insight of others path to this certification. I am far from being ready for the cave realm, but it only builds my desire to improve. And much like CamG, my wife too is taken back about how addicted to diving I am. I'm still an addicted hunter/fisherman, but she knows somethings wrong when I start considering selling firearms or waterfowling equipment, to pay for a new piece of gear or certification. But, I love it. Again, it is such a cool thread to read everyones path to certification. Thanks.

Yeah, I hear you. The power of choice is probably an illusion at this point anyway :).

dark-side-cookie.jpg

I dreamed every night of diving into the darkness following the main line and felt comfort at peace.

Oh, so beautifully said, Cam! There is a magical moment in every cave dive, when the daylight dims behind you, and in front stretches this enticing, alluring, elusive line . . . I will NEVER forget the first dive of my first cave class, when I led into the darkness. I had goosebumps then, and I think I have had them on every dive since.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom