Stowing the long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adm3745

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I came across this picture the other day:

http://www.omsdive.com/images/b29-06a.jpg

Other than not being able to do S drills what is the disadvantage of stowing your reg like this? It looks like a much cleaner way of doing things.

How come this never caught on?

It is a clean set up, however if you have to deploy your long hose temporarily, where do you put it when you get it back? Unless your buddy "repacks" it for you, or you take off your kit and "repack" it yourself, you are stuck shoving it somewhere. Most likely you'll end up doing it HOG style, so you might as well be in that configuration from the start. Also when deploying from the configuration in the photo, sometimes the hose gets hung up and either a) doesn't deploy all the way or b) takes extra time to deploy.
Hope this helps.
Take are,
George

The Evolution of DIR Diving by Jarrod Jablonski

Jarrod Jablonski:
The Bungie Style - Donating from One's Retaining Device:
This style places the safe second or octopus hose in some type of surgical tubing or restrictive band. This band is placed on the side of the tanks, along the manifold or on the back plate. Divers who use a long hose (usually 5-7 ft. or 1.5-2 m) on their safe second usually `stuff` this hose during the equipment assembly portion of the dive. Opinion on where and how to secure the second stage of the long hose varies among divers, adding further complications to this style. By stuffing the hose in some piece of bungie, it is more difficult to deploy, may not remain properly stowed and will not be guaranteed to function (as will the regulator from one's mouth). Furthermore, most divers are not able to return it to the `stowed` location without assistance, making them dependent upon a dive buddy and creating complications in the event of an accidental deployment or an air share false alarm. Due to its inefficient operation and increased risk, most divers have given up on this system and prefer to donate the regulator in their mouth to an out-of-air diver.

Although BSAC Tech has apparently completely banned "hog looping" in favor of stuffing the long hose like this now.

I don't like that at all. It looks like a problem to me if you need more hose for somehthing and it gets stuck or what not. Best thing I have seen to do is tuck underneath the waist belt or run it under your can light if you have one

studio_pro14-diver.jpg

rhea_shiprock2_124.jpg

Interesting historical tidbit, that was how many folks did it before the DIR way became in vogue.

i recently started sidemounting, and lemme tell you, restuffing a hose under bungee is a total pia. loop it unless you can't for some very compelling reason!

Imagine if that bungee was on a tank behind you :)

Stuffing a long hose on a tank hanging off your side becomes second nature with practice, but only because its within reach. Never liked the idea of stuffing a long hose on BM tanks.

Well, when you do little dives that only take 2 tanks, I'm sure SM is fine :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom