good OWD course in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also agree with this, strongly. All instructors are NOT created equally.

I'd give a nod to Kevin Metz of Underwater Explorers in Boynton Beach, FL (a bit North of Fort Lauderdale) https://securec7.ezhostingserver.com/diveboyntonbeach-com/indexs.cfm

He will take the time to teach you correctly so that you will be a safe and competent diver.

+1 for Kevin Metz, he turns out solid divers and everyone I've talked to that has trained with him loved the course.

hi mike, any dive shop with padi with padi certified divemasters is a good bet, the training is universal and you can really go wrong with the instructors and such. the florida keys is a beutiful place to dive and im sure there is a ample amout of dive shops there, just choose one with reputable status and equipment :D good luck! btw im new to diving to

I suppose this is true, but I will say I have experienced good and bad instructors even in the same shop. My best experience and so far the worst were under the very same roof (and certifying agency). It pays to check references.

Hi,

Welcome to diving. I have a few comments that pertain (at least somewhat) to your post:

1. PADI is not the best, most comprehensive training. Just because they are the most prolific doesn't mean that they do the best job. For example, Budweiser might be the most popular beer, but give me a Sam Adams instead;
2. Any dive agency will recognize your certification from any other accredited agency;
3. Do you want to spend vacation time learning to dive, or diving?
4. Do you plan to dive locally (where you live), ever? If so, consider getting trained there. Your local waters in TN will be colder than your vacation diving sites, and diving cold water is harder than warm water. If you develop good buoyancy control in a thicker wetsuit, going to a thinner one in the tropics will be a dream;
5. If you learn to dive locally, you will likely meet local divers in your course. One of the hardest things for a new diver is to find dive buddies; and
6. Do you plan to get your OW cert and stop, or carry on, say, to rescue diver? If the latter, consider beginning your training at home.

Good advice. I am NAUI certified and believe I got good training. It's a lot more than showing up in town, taking a day or two, then heading for open water. I remember my 1st check-out dive, a wonderful "scenic" lake. What I remember is my dive buddy, who seemed to have it all together, great shape physically, good swimmer... got under about 15 feet in silty water, and started to freak. Nothing bad happened, but he headed to the beach and so far as I know, didn't come back. I wouldn't want to think of something like that happening a couple miles from shore.

And then, as you say, there's the question of using your vacation learning or diving. It's a lot more enjoyable, IMHO, when you can relax and enjoy the sites.

hi mike, any dive shop with padi with padi certified divemasters is a good bet, the training is universal and you can really go wrong with the instructors and such. the florida keys is a beutiful place to dive and im sure there is a ample amout of dive shops there, just choose one with reputable status and equipment :D good luck! btw im new to diving to

...or a dive shop affiliated with other agencies. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. Pro dive seems to be a decent choice. Will probably not go through the hassle of renting a car, so anything farther away than where i could walk, will probably not work. Mike

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom