Diver Down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This book took my diving to another level. As an Instructor/ Dive boat deckhand, I want to be as prepared as I possibly can to help people. I also had the privilage to do some technical training with the author. The diving skills that I learned from him were a small part of the course. What I really benefited from is the attitude that Mike approaches diving with. Spending time with someone that has his experience and passion for the sport will change the whole way you look at diving. Thanks Mike for taking diving seriously and sharing your knowledge with the rest of us! I'm looking foward to a wreck penetration class on the Vandenburg!

I was very excited when the bookstore actually had this book in stock and I got to bring it home. But, the more I read, the less impressed I was. Maybe because I'm a regular reader here on the boards? I think the discussions threads here are much more useful than the situations which were outlined in the book and I found the technical info about the equipment boring. At first I read the gray boxes, then I started skimming them, then I just skipped 'em. After all the positive reviews I expected more.

I liked the book. It does get technical but that aspect appeals to me. I read it just before a trip to Puerto Rico and it definitely reinforced the need to know that basics.

4 out of 5 by my ranking.

Recommends it. A good book to get aware of risks while diving.
Don't let your non-diving family read it, but share it with your friends.

The book takes some sample accident and analyzes them to break down the causes of the accident and what can be learnt from them.

Here a quote from the book that gives a perspective on how to rescue divers in distress:
”Thunk. Garrett is sure he counted right. That was the last weight belt hitting the bottom of the boat. Any moment now the crew will realize that he’s lying helpless and paralysed on the surface. The anxiety is overpowering; seconds seem like hours. Finally, he hears the divers on board call out. He tries once again to respond, but nothing seems to work. Although aware of everything going on around him, Garrett is unable to move, unable to speak, and unable to respond in any way. He senses, more than feels, the boat’s divemaster reach him. Then he realizes his worst nightmare is unfolding as the divemaster removes his regulator and unknowingly pushes his head below the surface. He is aware of the seawater filling his airway, but he lacks all power to respond.”

Safe Diving!
Vrakis

i just finished reading this book the other day...its worth reading and i would highly recommend it to fellow divers...reminding me of things sometimes I take for granted...

Back
Top Bottom