Dive Master or Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

French is the biggie around here.

Nearly everyone speaks Spanish and English here so it's not considered a 'desired' language.

Depends where you are I guess, but you can't go wrong with French.

You don't really need to be fluent, as long as you can take a course (instruct) and answer questions, it's a done deal.

Thank you everybody for the advice so far :D We had also thought about the whole 2nd language issue, too. French or German came to mind as good ones to know. Any others or might one be "in demand" more than the other?

Japanese and Mandarin/Cantonese would also be helpful both in the near future (teaching Japanese tourists) and further forward looking future with the boom of the Chinese economy. We will always see demand for multi-lingual instructors in a foreign travel based industry.

Thank you everybody for the advice so far :D We had also thought about the whole 2nd language issue, too. French or German came to mind as good ones to know. Any others or might one be "in demand" more than the other?

For the Caribbean I would go with Spanish, French, German or Dutch. Those are big ones, depending on the area of the Caribbean you're looking to teach in.

Besides diving stuff, they may also want to include some commercial boat driving stuff as well. Under 60 ton masters make over $200 a day here taking tourists out to see whales during the summer. Something to think about to work toward while they get old enough to instruct scuba.

Gotta be a DM first but need to be an Instructor to be able and work anywhere.

Actually, I know quite a few DM's and AI's who get as much work as they want, but all of the ones I know are working as CA's to freelance instructors and all of them work part time.

I would think in the most popular locations, that a DM would have a hard time finding work unless they had some exceptional skills beyond the context of diving. Even inexperienced instructors might have trouble finding work that didn't involve (for example) spending about 40% of their time mopping up puke from people who got seasick and tossed on the deck.

R..

Scubamum

The best opportunity your kids will have to gain employment in the industry will be to arrange it when they do their top two courses, so when they go to do their Divemaster, they need to speak to the shop about getting work after they have competed it, and get an assured offer of work, not just a vague "we'll sort something out".

As other people have posted, there are a lot of DMs in the world and they work for cheap. My Girfriend used to get $1 per tank! The least popular the resort the less DMs you'll have there, the more chance of work.

Lastly, the IDC... the Instructor Developement Course costs a fair bit, you're looking about $2,000 ish dollars. It's a big spend. Before they chose the IDC centre, try and specify that they are looking to stay and work after it, again this is the best chance to get their foot on the ladder. From there, experience and languages will get them the rest of the way.

There are other companies - just google them, people like Dressel Divers, or Prodive that have centres in the big All Inclusive resorts that (in Dressel's case) will take you through DM and into Instructor level with the sole aim on employing you afterwards.

Once you're in as a Dressel diver *and it's not for everyone - they're busy, hard working shops... then you have the opportunity to work in their other operations around the world.

This is more like being a rep in a big resort and may not fit into the free travelling idea they may have, but it's a pretty good career and a good name to have on your diving CV.

...again, hope this helps!

You would definitely have more employment opportunities as an instructor than you would as a divemaster. Also, the ability to speak 2 or more languages, having your USCG Captain's license and being a repair technician would all help with gaining employment in the scuba industry.

Wow, a LOT of helpful answers...Thank you everybody for your opinions. I'm glad we still have a few more years to sort all of this out, but I would still love to give my kids this opportunity (but more importantly, THEY are looking forward to it)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom