Force Fin selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a pair of extra force fins and am planning for diving with humpback this August in Tonga. Can anyone pls tell me whether the extra force fins are good enough for snorkeling? Thanks a lot.

I just bought a pair of extra force myself and tried 'em in the pool last week. They were great on the surface and underwater. Really fast when I wanted fast and good for just putting around as well. I fiddled with the whiskers some and they were faster with them turned in, not sure what to think with them turned out.

Good for frog kicking too. I've noticed that they are easier on the surface than the Pro's. Two young Navy guys took an interest in my fins and I let them try both fair. They do look pretty high tech, what with the whiskers.

The "Hockey fins" were even easier on the surface, but maybe a stroke slower, but both seem to work on the "up" as well as the "downstroke", unlike other Force Fins.

There's a few threads if you search the forum and pick Bob, Blair and Messier's brains. I'd love to hear there advice myself.

I bought a pair of extra force fins and am planning for diving with humpback this August in Tonga. Can anyone pls tell me whether the extra force fins are good enough for snorkeling? Thanks a lot.

The Extra is a pretty good fin for snorkeling, they are amazing for freediving. For surface swimming they greatly outperform the Original and the Pro due to the added length and stiffness. Once you leave surface they act a lot like long blade free diving fins, but much more energy efficient due to the unique foot pocket and energy transfer. If you know the kick for long blades then you will be very comfortable with the kick for these, the kick really is a wider slower kick but you can add all the ummf that you can muster.

Carllam2000,
Have a great time with the whales in Tonga. As CSICNOMORE and Meesier42 pointed out your Extra Force Fins will be a great fit your your adventures with the Megaptera novaeangliae. I just recently was turned on to this model for snorkeling and personally like them for snorkeling as Meesier42 mentioned "If you know the kick for long blades then you will be very comfortable with the kick for these, the kick really is a wider slower kick but you can add all the ummf that you can muster."
Have a great experience!

I had a hip replaced and tried other fins, and seem 2 put stress on my bad hip. When I tried Force Fins I didn't have any problem with any stress on the hip that was replaced.

Carllam2000,
Have a great time with the whales in Tonga. As CSICNOMORE and Meesier42 pointed out your Extra Force Fins will be a great fit your your adventures with the Megaptera novaeangliae. I just recently was turned on to this model for snorkeling and personally like them for snorkeling as Meesier42 mentioned "If you know the kick for long blades then you will be very comfortable with the kick for these, the kick really is a wider slower kick but you can add all the ummf that you can muster."
Have a great experience!

Hi guys,
Thanks a lot for all your advice.
In fact, I tried the fins in recent trip to Indonesia. They are really powerful even with my heavy camera set. My buddies joked they always felt my strong current passing thr' them when I accelerated.
My only problem was that the fins sometimes too negative. If I stopped frog-kicking, I'd eventually become upside down and made my photo-taking difficult. If I kept kicking, I'd stir up the very fine sand.
Someone suggested me to add some lead around the stripe to make it heavier. But I also wonder whether my OMS back swing contributed to the problem.

Would anyone can give some comments pls.

Carl

Since Force Fins are normally slightly negative, I don't think they are part of your "trim" problem. They are less negative than Jets, if that is what you had been using previously, so they could cause your feet to be slightly less negative; but they are definitely not "floaty".

I would suggest you move your tank a little lower to balance yourself better - or move the wing up on the plate (toward your head), if you have an additional set of holes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom