Questions about Atomic Z2x / First Regulator setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MA.25

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is Atomic actually the best reg company
Is the Z2x a good first regulator
Is it worth spending the money on a good regulator for diving in 10-18 degree Celsius water

What are you opinions of this reg setup

Reg: Atomic Z2x
Octo: Aqualung Titan/calypso
Computer: Suunto/Cressi Or Dive Rite :confused:

Best reg company--except in the minds of some Atomic owners--NO. But they do make a very good reg. There are, however, a number of regs that are equally good.

For ease of service, I would go with an octo of whichever brand of primary regulator you get.

Any of the computer brands you mention, and also Oceanic, will be just fine, Be sure you get a warranty.

Is Atomic actually the best reg company
Is the Z2x a good first regulator
Is it worth spending the money on a good regulator for diving in 10-18 degree Celsius water

What are you opinions of this reg setup

Reg: Atomic Z2x
Octo: Aqualung Titan/calypso
Computer: Suunto/Cressi Or Dive Rite :confused:

Zeagle and Apeks make great regs also, and they have a fantastic warranty, which is very important these days, ith the cost of equipment.I rather spend the extra $ and have a back up plan with the warranty, than save a few$. Because in the end it is still going to cost about the same, if not more. That is just MO.:D

Yes Atomic is the best reg on the market. If you can find another brand of reg that offers Automatic Flow Control, a Seat Saving Orifice, and a titanium spring and lever, lifetime warranty not based upon annual servicing, 2 year 300 dive service interval, and 2nd stage swivel then buy it. Otherwise you can't go wrong with the Atomic. As for an octopus I would recommend sticking with a Z2, which is the same reg as the Z2x but without the second stage swivel. You might also wait a month or two for the introduction of Atomic's new air-integrated computer, the Cobalt. Let me know if you have any specific Atomic questions that I can answer for you.
Of course, being an Atomic dealer and tech I am a bit biased. You can ask 1000 different divers the same question and you will get 1,000 different answers. Do your research, ask lots of questions and that will guide your decision. Keep in mind that for most divers the best regulator to buy is the one that they own.
Safe Diving
Larry

Yes Atomic is the best reg on the market. If you can find another brand of reg that offers Automatic Flow Control, a Seat Saving Orifice, and a titanium spring and lever, lifetime warranty not based upon annual servicing, 2 year 300 dive service interval, and 2nd stage swivel then buy it. Otherwise you can't go wrong with the Atomic. As for an octopus I would recommend sticking with a Z2, which is the same reg as the Z2x but without the second stage swivel. You might also wait a month or two for the introduction of Atomic's new air-integrated computer, the Cobalt. Let me know if you have any specific Atomic questions that I can answer for you.
Of course, being an Atomic dealer and tech I am a bit biased. You can ask 1000 different divers the same question and you will get 1,000 different answers. Do your research, ask lots of questions and that will guide your decision. Keep in mind that for most divers the best regulator to buy is the one that they own.
Safe Diving
Larry
How much will the new Cobalt computer be?

Unless you want to go deep, the Z2 is a fine regulator. You get a solid performing piece of equipment at the lower-end of the high-priced regs. It was the one I chose, up until I put together a set of doubles for tech.

Also consider Aqualung. The Legends are great performing regulators, as are Apeks. IMHO, the Legends give air more freely than the Z2 at depths greater than 100'. I've had them both (Z2 and Legend) down there.

A suunto is a great first computer, as well. They are conservative, though. While some believe it's a fault, it's acutally not for the beginner diver. It may keep you from getting yourself into trouble.

A word of caution, though, about Oceanic computers. It may be a rash of isolated problems, or it could be something consistently wrong with them. But I've known 3 people in the last year who've had Oceanic computers to flood:shocked2:. Now Oceanic (from what these friends told me) does have a good return policy. Good thing! :idk:
I'm not Oceanic-bashing (I've owned only Suuntos for 3 years and no problems), just passing along an observation.

Unless you want to go deep, the Z2 is a fine regulator. You get a solid performing piece of equipment at the lower-end of the high-priced regs. It was the one I chose, up until I put together a set of doubles for tech.

Also consider Aqualung. The Legends are great performing regulators, as are Apeks. IMHO, the Legends give air more freely than the Z2 at depths greater than 100'. I've had them both (Z2 and Legend) down there.

Interesting experience. I have had my Z2s down past 100' feet dozens of times with many of those well past recreational limits and have never noticed them breath any differently than at shallower depths.

There are many very good regs out there today. We ended up going with Atomics because we liked the smaller form of the second stage. Since then I have come to appreciate many other features mostly related to servicing them as I do that myself.

As for the rest of your set up. I personally prefer my second stage and backup (octo) to the exact same reg. For two reasons, one servicing and more importantly I want a reg that is just as good as primary when Davy Jones comes calling.

I also us Suunto computers, I like them for ease of use and readability. Some say they are too conservative, I have not found that to be the case even for technical deco dives. My only nit - IMHO the digital compass is worthless. Get a good analogue compass like their SK-7 on put it on a DSS bungee mount.

The Atomic Z2 has served me well but then I'm just a warm water vacation diver. I bought it right after I was certified four years ago. If I were going to dive beyond those conditions my choice might have been different.

Back
Top Bottom