Start OW Course this Tuesday!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glbtrekker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm so excited...been putting off taking diving lessons for many years, but I've finally decided to take the plunge (pun intended)! Have already purchased my personal gear and have received my learning kit from NAUI. I will be receiving NAUI training, but getting a PADI certification card (instructor is new to NAUI). Classes are twice a week and will last for the month of May, wish me success!

Just in time for summer. Best of luck! Just curious, but if you are using NAUI material with a NAUI instructor why bother with a PADI OW cert? Even if your instructor is dual certified without using the PADI material its a violation of standards. A NAUI OW cert will be just as good.

Just in time for summer. Best of luck! Just curious, but if you are using NAUI material with a NAUI instructor why bother with a PADI OW cert? Even if your instructor is dual certified without using the PADI material its a violation of standards. A NAUI OW cert will be just as good.

Actually, I would prefer the NAUI certification. The instructor has just transitioned from a PADI shop to the NAUI shop where I will be taking the classes. I was told that I would receive NAUI training with a PADI card. My assumption is that the instructor isn't able to issue NAUI cards yet. I don't know, maybe someone with more know information can chime in.

Actually, I would prefer the NAUI certification. The instructor has just transitioned from a PADI shop to the NAUI shop where I will be taking the classes. I was told that I would receive NAUI training with a PADI card. My assumption is that the instructor isn't able to issue NAUI cards yet. I don't know, maybe someone with more know information can chime in.

something here does not sound right..If the instructor is teaching a NAUI course does it not stand to reason that he is a NAUI instructor? If he cannot issue a NAUI card then he is not a NAUI instructor.If he issues you a PADI certification with out doing a PADI program then he is in violation of standards.It does not sound very professional to me.
The quality of a certification course has nothing to do with the agency.Its all about the abilities of the instructor and how professional he/she is in how the course is conducted.

NAUI card? PADI card? Who cares. As has been mentioned countless times on SB is what is more important than any card is your instructor. Don't get too obsessed about your card, especially at the OW level. Get your cert, get some dives, find a good mentor and instructor then advance your diving education.

Good luck!

good luck & I'm thinking you'll enjoy it UW...

something here does not sound right..If the instructor is teaching a NAUI course does it not stand to reason that he is a NAUI instructor? If he cannot issue a NAUI card then he is not a NAUI instructor.If he issues you a PADI certification with out doing a PADI program then he is in violation of standards.It does not sound very professional to me.
The quality of a certification course has nothing to do with the agency.Its all about the abilities of the instructor and how professional he/she is in how the course is conducted.

Since oly5050 IS an instructor ( and I hope more instructors chime in here ) I think what has been said is right on.

I'm a fairly new diver and wish I had "known what I didn't know." If I had come here before my OW training and had learned a bit more before my classes, I would have been MUCH more selective in my choice of instructors. It is that important.

Have fun! OW training is a blast.

glbtrekker, congratulations on signing up for your course! It sounds like a good one -- meeting twice a week for an entire month should give you lots of time to get comfortable with your equipment and your skills. I should think that May in TN would be a lovely time to be outdoors and on the water, not too hot and not too cold. You should have a great time!

Do get the administrative issues sorted out, so that you are sure you will get a C-card at the end of your class. I'd talk to the owner of the shop and ask him whether you will be using NAUI or PADI materials for the class. If you are using NAUI materials, you should get a NAUI card. It doesn't really matter which card you get, as far as your ability to go diving anywhere, but it just says the shop is following procedures and not bending rules or using shortcuts.

But the important thing is that you are going to learn to dive! Come back and tell us how your class goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom