Update: Old destroyer will help create East Coast's largest artificial reef 30 miles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrmiah

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Pretty cool. The Radford is/was a Spruance-class destroyer. I was never assigned to the ship but I did spend some in-port and underway time on it doing weapon systems testing and maintenance while on active duty at FTSCLANT, Norfolk. It's the only Spruance-class that received the modified superstructure that housed the MK23 Target Acquisition System (TAS) radar antenna. The superstructure was designed to have a low radar reflective profile (stealth-like).

Looks awesome, looking forward to diving the "largest artifical reef" in the Atlantic.

Thanks for the update.

Adam

Word on the street is they are looking to reef it on a sandy bottom out near the moonstone. Mooring balls are highly unlikely due to their being a hazzard to navigation. It will be an interesting dive, later it will get better when the fish habitate. The down side, as with all large reefs in the reach of aluminum 80's is that Darwin will start enforcing his laws and we will get unwanted media and legislative attention. Let us all hope this is kept to a minimum and boosts the local diving economy.
Eric

I found out that mooring balls won't happen because fisherman will just cut them...something about their drift nets.

Where is moonstone? If you take what the media reported as close to correct (30 miles out of OC and 30 miles out of Indian River) it looks like it is roughly 15 miles off Bethany, DE.

I doubt you'll see too many folks with the AL80's out there if your closet inlet is 30miles and you're going to have to hook the wreck.

There is a chart on njscuba.net that depicts it's general location. Numbers are still secrets even today. The published numbers even from reef foundations are notoriously close, but not exactly. Due to the proximity to the philly,ny shipping channel hazzards is a real issue. Divers cut mooring balls. The last thing you want to do is show up to a dive site and find it covered up by hook and liners who otherwise would not have found it without assistance.
Being billed as the largest reefed ship will surely prompt a cattle boat operation to satisfy the general publics lust to dive it, which equals aluminum 80.

Back
Top Bottom