Anyone dove with whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of these days I want to make it to the places you guys have been to, but so far my whale shark experiences have been somewhat confined. I got the chance to dive with 4 whale sharks (and a few hammerheads and manta rays) in the Georgia Aquarium this past March. It was an awesome experience, especially when I had a whale shark 4 feet above my head. :)

You are probably going to think this is a fish story, but I have been on two dive trips to the Galapagos specifically to see Whale sharks. We were on a liveaboard and anchored off of Darwin's arch on Darwin Island for 3 days. The first trip we had 9 encounters in 3 days. We went back the next year and had 27 encounters in 3 days. Literally every dive we did we saw at least one whale shark. It was awesome. Apparently they tend to migrate there in June, at least that is when we were there.
Here is some video that I took:
YouTube - Galapagos 2004

October 2008 I finally made Galapagos and we saw about 7 Whalesharks, not brilliant apparently, but we did see this monster.

066.jpg

[
073.jpg

According to the guide, it's not a resident, and is by far the biggest he'd ever seen. We estimated it at 15m +. so pretty damn huge.

If anyone's interested, I did a photo thread about the sights of the trip. here you go...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/261927-galapagos-october-2008-a.html

I dove with one of the shore of Gulf Shores in August of 2009. Check out my uploaded photos. Went out on a charter with Down Under Dive Shop.

Hola from Cancun!
There is an area here in Cancun that hundreds of them come to feed, from June to September when the water is ideal for Plankton.
Unfortunately there is no permits for diving, it is a monitored activity that has to abide with International, ecological, and conservation of species.
It is an amazing encounter.
WHALE SHARK SWIM CANCUN

I'm far from an expert on this, having never seen one myself, but from my own research, one of the best places seems to be Inhambane in Mozambique.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom