The internet and PDCS: Where does your agency stand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How is "e-learning" defined? If the agency gives you any information at all over the internet? Majority? A book to read ahead of time? Or realtime interactive quizzes in html and java?

Just curious...

GUE has readings to download ahead of time for all their courses. Its my understanding that tables are taught in their OW course - although I'm not sure anyone has actually taken that yet.

How is "e-learning" defined?
By the individual agencies. If they say that they have e-learning, then we will put it in a "yes"

Its my understanding that tables are taught
We are looking for a definitive answer. Perhaps you can contact them and ask. Thanks.

Fair enough. My opposition to elearning is based on the fact that I like to be able to see the faces of my students as I'm presenting the information. I also like to know that everything that is supposed to be covered is.

An advantage of e-Learning is that you know (assuming the e-Course has been properly structured) the material has been covered. With SDI, the student cannot move onto the next subject until they pass the current subject with 75% or better. If a topic isn't covered it is because it wasn't in the course.

I've done academics in classroom setting with instructors and I've done the e-Learning version. Personally I like the e-Learning version because I don't have to hear my instructor tell stories about killing flounders with his dive knife or hear the instructor spend a lot of time with one student who just isn't grasping the subject. On the flip side if I don't get something I can't retake the section and if need be, call and/or e-mail the instructor.

My personal feelings on eLearning are like this. I have never treated it like a replacement for classroom time but rather a different way to present the materials to students prior to class.

I haven't done the NAUI eLearning yet but I completed SSI's version when it first came out because I wanted to know exactally what was being presented to the students (just like I went through the book a bunch of times). In the SSI classes I taught the students did the home study via the web, completed the chapters and took a small quiz at the end of each chapter (a check on learning). They were still required to attend classroom work just like those doing the books and do the final test. There was no difference in how I taught my classes between the eLearning or book method.

People learn differently and in the computer age, this is just another way to present the materials. The intent was to never take the place of the instructor and student interaction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom