Doing checkout dive in 65 degree water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

softballer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Planning to do checkouts in a few weeks in our local quarry. Right now the quarry is at 63 and since it is shallow (35ft) it stays warm most of the summer.

The only suit I have is a 3mm shorty and I was wondering if this would be sufficient or should I push back my checkout dive a few weeks?

I would guess you're gonna freeze your fun parts off. Ask your LDS if they will loan you a 5mm full suit or a farmer john to go under your shorty

I would do that dive in no less than a 7mm full suit. Around here, a 63 degree surface will often lead to a thermocline around 20 feet to 50 degree water. You can always pull the neck seal and let some water in to cool you off. You can't make a 3mm shorty any warmer.

That's definitely 7 mm territory: heck, some would argue it's drysuit territory! MD_Diver is right: rent a 5mm full suit and put your shorty on over the top, and you'll be much more comfortable. Or save the shorty for much warmer water and rent a good 7 mm suit. If you plan on diving on the quarry regularly to keep your skills fresh, buying a thicker suit is a sensible way to go.

If you haven't already, make sure you also have a good hood (a 5/3 mm, for example) and gloves for your dives. A great deal of heat is lost via the head, so give it some thermal protection.

You'd be pushing it in a 3mm.

I'd look for a 5mm full suit with some sort of vest, possibly hooded or a 7mm.

If you're cold you're going to have a miserable checkout. You're going to be more focused on your misery than your skills.

If this quarry is going to be your local water hole, so to speak, look at getting a thick suit.

Good luck!

depends on your comfortablity in the water and to what extent that you want to go...I did my check out stuff in a drysuit....but that is what i was going to be diving around here and dove it quite a bit in a pool before hitting open water.

However I do agree with the 7mm or 5mm with hooded vest approach....neoprene is a lot easier to control and easier to dive.

My big issue is size when it comes to renting.

I am a big guy 6'8 325lbs and the 3mm shorty is from my LDS.

I just sent him an email to see if he had anything I could borrow/rent for the checkouts that would fit.

You are rather close to where I am (latitude- wise). Our shop will not do check- out dives in water less than 65, except in situations where the diver will be working in cold waters (commercial or public safety). Our students frequently wear 2pc 7mm suits & we still have a few that freeze their tushies off. I, personally wear a drysuit with a 200gm undergarment & am comfortable. Be aware of a major problem with wearing such thick wetsuits; buoyancy swings can be wild & fast. Because of the thicker neoprene, more weight must be worn to off set the positive buoyancy of the suit. Once you start to get some depth, the neoprene will compress, making you more negatively buoyant. Also be aware that as you ascend the neoprene will un- compress & become positive again. Good luck with your dives!

Rent a heavier suit. If you are cold tolerant a 5mm might be enough. If not thn you need a 7

Back
Top Bottom