identify Bauer compressor and help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdupreez

Which 7.5 H.P. model Leeson did you go with?

woohoo!! the motor arrived yesterday and its a PERFECT fit on the frame! The new 6.25" Pulley is on the way and should be here in a few days.. (as will all the other parts)

According to the math, this baby should be humming along at 1215 RPM's, giving me pretty much full CFM capacity!

leeson1.jpg

Its a Leeson Single Phase 7.5HP motor running at 3450RPM wtih a Full Amp load of about 31Amps, might even get away with a 30Amp dryer breaker.. if not, an electric range (yes we have an electric..) 40Amp breaker will work perfect!

bought it for $415 new at Electric Motor Wholesale.Com CATALOG: 132044.00

This 7.5HP motor was $30 Cheaper than the 5HP ?? How bizarre.. So I decided to be cheap and get the more powerfull motor! I'll have to replace the starter as well, but thats ok..

BUT this will have wait for another 2 weeks.. I'm off to Hawaii on monday.. :crafty:

Last edited:
Sure looks like she's is coming along. Awesome...keep us updated on your progress...Safe Travels...

Back to the compressor fun!! Maui diving was awesome!! (Met a school of hammerheads off Molokai'i !! )

Compressor Update:
- I rebuilt most of the Oil regulator
- Replaced Triplex P0 filter cartridge
- Installed the new 7.5hp Leeson motor and smaller pulley..
- Got hold of a 33" tower filter and will be throwing a LF XCell 20 in there (need to get its own PMV still)
- Ordered a new magnetic starter for the motor
- Busy wiring and installing a 40amp breaker..

If all goes well, she'll be starting up the weekend... :D

QUESTION: Any advice on the "first" start-up ??

The oil reg has been overhauled so I need to be quick to adjust the oil pressure to around 800psi plus i probably need to inject a little bit of oil into the 1stage intake in order to "manual" splash it cause its been sitting for a while?

anything else?

Last edited:
So tonight I temporarily wired the motor up and took a couple of readings and then hooked up the flywheel and started the compressor up.. here are the results :D

Motor Running at a slick 3564 RPM with my new 6.25" Pulley
MotorRPM.jpg

Compressor Running at a smooth 1245 RPM
(Thats 10 RPM under what the math said, but thats darn close!)
CompressorRPM.jpg

The Motor Unloaded (Open Drains) draws 18 Amps (Fully Loaded about 22 Amps)
NoLoadAMP.jpg

I hooked up an old AL80 tank and filled the sucker up in just under 13 Minutes!!!

Thats delivering a cool 6.4 CFM !! WOOHOOO!!!!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE on this forum for your help and in specific I want to thank Craig Clark and Lawrence Kaplan (From LFactor), you guys have been instrumental in getting this baby going.. Thank you VERY much!!

I'll start a new tread with tons of details from start to finish on selecting the motor and pulley, hooking up the motor, wiring the motor with mag starter and over pressure switch, servicing oil reg, hooking up the auto drains, servicing the 100psi fixed reg thats used with AquaEnv 907 unloaders, etc. etc.. this has been a very cool Journey..

Also, I built a Trimix Stick during the week in 30mins and will post a thread on that (As soon as PraxAir delivers my O2 and Helium) and the 33" filtwer tower hookup.

Tomorrow I have to rest :) its our 11 year anniversary and the wife will kill me if I spend another day in the garage!

Thanks again everyone!!

Cheers!! :coffee:

Koos

Last edited:
Happy Anniversary to you two. congratulations the compressor is looking good. Which motor starter did you finally go with?? may I ask where you got the filter tower from??

Happy Anniversary to you two. congratulations the compressor is looking good. Which motor starter did you finally go with?? may I ask where you got the filter tower from??

Thanks!! 11 years - feels like yesterday!

So I ended up getting a new "Square D" 230V, 40A single phase, 2 pole magnetic starter including thermal relay.. I got it from a wholesaler at great discounts.. the enclosure, starter, thermal protection and shipping was less than $100 :) just the starter at local sources were over $250 !

I also ordered start/stop push button kit for the starter which was another $36

The 33" filter tower was bought from a SB seller - still waiting for it to arrive though.. hopefully by the next few days..

I'll be posting a new tread on the entire experience as soon as she's properly installed (pulled the permits and will be doing electrics the weekend)..

still not having any luck on repair/parts for that safety valve though (as per other thread)..

woohoo!! Bauer San Francisco rebuilt my safety valve for $150 in less than a day and shipped it back same day!!

The new 30 Amp circuit breaker and dedicated 230v receptacle are all wired up, motor starter, motor thermal cut-off, auto drains and pressure switch are all also wired up! busy installing a run-hour meter and emergency cut-off on the compressor frame..

Interesting, the mechanical separator had a broken Vortex plate, which had to be replaced along with the Xtractor-Coalescor..

Also overhauled the auto condensate drain system.. the one drain valve had a cracked seat plus both needed new o-rings and filters.

Holy Cow, I pretty much overhauled EVERY piece of this compressor except the valves and piston & rings (which I should probably have a look at!)

Oh - and the 3rd stage head cover had a crack, I was not going to take chances so ordered a new one from L Factor.. I think the previous guy didnt follow torque sequence and had uneven torque on head bolts, so it cracked..

Hopefully by week-end I'll be 100% up and running! Then for some final finishing touches..

And again, thanks to everyone who had tons of advice and help..

without the community I would seriously be SOL!

:)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom